1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been after a '50s/'60s Colt Commander for a while to use as a basis for a build. I saw one on GB and threw out a flyer on it that stuck. It's a '51 Lightweight 9mm Commander that spent some time in Italy and was rebarreled in .30 Luger.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who've used them for a build and seeing the results.

I haven't had a chance to pick it up, but, here are some pics from the listing:

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
That's cool as hell. I'd love to see the magazine.

Should be easy to return it to 9mm and to its former glory.

Z

·
Custom Pistolsmith
750 Posts
I've built two in 30 Luger. The only issue you will find is the expense of ammo. The ammo which is necked has to be leaked to your barrel chamber each time it is reloaded. I found US made ammo better in spec than some European ammo. Also it is very light and cycling could be an issue if the recoil spring is too heavy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of build did you have in mind? Since the pistol started out life as a 9mm and was converted to .30 Luger/7.62 you are not hurting any value on the pistol.... @Integrity Arms, @Joe C, @pistolwretch
Not sure just yet. My track record of keeping work to a minimum is, uh, spotty at best.

That's cool as hell. I'd love to see the magazine.

Should be easy to return it to 9mm and to its former glory.

Z
The mag is a factory 9mm which had the "9" obliterated. Lucikly, you can use the 9mm mags without issue (I have .30 Luger conversion barrels fitted to a FNH Hi-Power, a Sig P226, and a WC Brig-Tac Vertec).

I'm definitely looking forward to freshening it up and then some.

I'm surprised it was a9mm converted to .30 Luger because Colt made factory .30 Lugers (and other cartridges not sold to the US market) for the European market. Anyway it is not big deal to drop a 9mm Luger barrel in (I made a .30 Luger barrel for my 1911) and the magazines are the same for both.
I've seen a couple of factory .30 Luger Commanders for sale, but, have no idea what the production numbers are. The Italian date code stamped on it is XX7 which puts the year of import at 1971.

I'd say you should definitely not use this pistol, but PM me and I can help you recover your investment.

Outstanding find!
Thanks! Unfortunately, this one's going to be a keeper.

I've built two in 30 Luger. The only issue you will find is the expense of ammo. The ammo which is necked has to be leaked to your barrel chamber each time it is reloaded. I found US made ammo better in spec than some European ammo. Also it is very light and cycling could be an issue if the recoil spring is too heavy.
I don't reload, but, usually buy in bulk when I find a good price. My only experience, with .30 Luger, has been with Fiocchi 765A.

Typically, I'll leave barrel fitment and dialing it in to pros like yourself.

Nice find. For a build I would wonder about the Aluminum alloy they used then versus what they use now. Colt did make them in 30 Luger back when as I recall but not for the American market.
I've thought about that myself. Colt's brand name for their aluminum frames was "Coltalloy" and I'm just starting to do some research on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts