1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
It is a dry heat, right...
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up this '67 BHP in a local deal. While I have owned many different flavors of the Belgium made Hi Powers over my many years, my soft spot is the early MKI T Series.
My questions concern the what appears to be a carbon steel blued barrel and the inspection/import/export marks. Have never had a T Series with a steel blued barrel. All have been nicely polished stainless?
Anybody have any ideas what the marks may designate?
The serial number only appears on the frame, not on the slide or barrel?
Thanks for any information or direction... Sparky

Ammunition Tan Gun accessory Trigger Everyday carry
Material property Metal Silver Office instrument Office supplies
Yellow Tan Parallel Beige Rectangle
Stationery Material property Steel Gun barrel Trigger
Yellow Grey Metal Iron Steel
Metal Iron Household hardware Tool Steel
Tool Composite material Watch Metal Steel

·
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you got your answers. But what a nice, lightly used?, H-P. Congratulations!
It is a sweet one Bill. Took it down this morning, dry as a 51 year old virgin. Got everything soaking in Kroil but it has not seen much action. That blued barrel threw me, guess I just had not ever run across that before.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
IMHO the barrel has been reblued which would leave me to believe the gun has been reblued. I have never seen a blued barrel from the factory on a BHP. By the looks of the proofs the barrel is correct for the gun.

You are correct on the proof marks. They are the proof of Liege, smokeless test proofs, date codes and inspectors marks. They can tell you if the parts fall into th date code indicated by the serial number in my experience. Again all the marks are correct for a 1967 T Series, there are no MKIs.

The backwards 7 in the unfinshished box = 1st Qtr 1967

The ELG is the proof of Liege. The *W is the inspector mark of Nicolas Wolfs 1952-1968

The image over the PV is the smokeless powder proof.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

The *S on this and the pic of the slide are the inspector mark of Charles Daenen 1952-1968

The P is a 1958 date code.

Reactions: SparkyAZ

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Its a great looking gun. Does it have a Browning or FN rollmark?

Reactions: SparkyAZ

·
Enabler
3,505 Posts
The knowledge on this forum always amazes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Looking at the slide I do not think the whole gun have been reblued. I think the barrel was done on its own unless it was done a long time ago. The wear is consistent and the rollmarks, which were not deep are too strong on pistols of that time frame, still look good.

What is the serial number if I might ask. Don't need the whole thing just the T plus 4 numbers and XXXs to tell me how long the number is.

·
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It is a 1967. T1831XX
Guess I do not understand what you mean by the "P" inspection mark on the frame... how does that equate to 1958? There is a P on the barrel and on the guide rod too.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It is a 1967. T1831XX
Guess I do not understand what you mean by the "P" inspection mark on the frame... how does that equate to 1958? There is a P on the barrel and on the guide rod too.
P is a date code. My guess is that the frame was made in 1958 but not approved and assembled until 1967. You will sometimes see this with BHPs. Old new stock frame in the factory made on year, inspected and assembled later. I also could be wrong but that is what my eyes see.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts