1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Your ad goes here for $20/month or $200/year
648 Posts
I really wish I could get over my hangup of buying a gun with an idiot scratch. Even though I know I'll refinish it I just can't get myself to do buy them. To me it means at one point it was owned by someone who didn't know how to take care of it... so what else did they screw up?

Kinda dumb I know....

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
I really wish I could get over my hangup of buying a gun with an idiot scratch. Even though I know I'll refinish it I just can't get myself to do buy them. To me it means at one point it was owned by someone who didn't know how to take care of it... so what else did they screw up?

Kinda dumb I know....
Well believe it or not I read on a Colt group on facebook that when the 1911 was made the military's choice weapon of self defense that the guys were trained to re-install the slide stop in such a way as to inevitably put that scratch there.

This is in a Colt group on Collectible handgun group and the guys who spoke of this know about everything there is to know about the colt and collectible 1911's

Who'd of thought it? And you definitely see more of the older 1911's with it than without it.

·
chicken wings
2,095 Posts

Kinda dumb I know....
I have a thing with getting with a box and 2 mags. That’s my hangup.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,173 Posts
If soldiers were trained to take-down and reassemble the 1911 blindfolded, that would account for a lot of the idiot scratches on USGI pistols.

Doesn't mean you have to do it on a commercial pistols :eek:.o:

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Steve, he is heading to Dayton and willing to swing to Columbus. I’m not pressed for it without the box. Go for it.
I would but have bought too many base guns, I'll have a pretty good inventory when I open the books back up. And trying to save for a little expansion. Although I wouldn't mind having it.. Dayton just even closer, when is he headed that way?

Do you have to have tap and talk to message the guy?

·
chicken wings
2,095 Posts
Christmas Day. I messaged him on SW forum. I can get his contact.

I would but have bought too many base guns, I'll have a pretty good inventory when I open the books back up. And trying to save for a little expansion. Although I wouldn't mind having it.. Dayton just even closer, when is he headed that way?

Do you have to have tap and talk to message the guy?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts

Kinda dumb I know....
I have a thing with getting with a box and 2 mags. That’s my hangup.
I WILL NOT BUY A GUN WITH A IDIOT SCRATCH!!!!!
Damn, you guys need therapy.:roll: If you're going to let a little thing like an idiot scratch on a nice 46 year old Colt hold you back you're going spend your lifetimes missing out on great deals and great guns.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Christmas Day. I messaged him on SW forum. I can get his contact.
I was able to send him a reply on the S&W forum. It had been so long since I had been in there but my Sign in information was still saved. I left a number for him to call me to discuss. Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it. I am only about 1 hour .15 mins away from you, if you ever get up around Grand Lake St. Mary's shout out to me. My youngest Son lives in C-bus and I do get down there once in awhile and also come down to visit Vance's and such when they have a deal or two I can't pass up.

·
chicken wings
2,095 Posts
Best of luck brother. Don’t be a stranger. Post pics when you get it.

I was able to send him a reply on the S&W forum. It had been so long since I had been in there but my Sign in information was still saved. I left a number for him to call me to discuss. Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it. I am only about 1 hour .15 mins away from you, if you ever get up around Grand Lake St. Mary's shout out to me. My youngest Son lives in C-bus and I do get down there once in awhile and also come down to visit Vance's and such when they have a deal or two I can't pass up.

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,932 Posts
That there is a good honest assembly mark, as said that's how our greatest generation were taught to assemble the 1911, push it in and slide it up.
Yah. They weren't too concerned with a scratch when it was being used to possibly save their life or the life of a fellow soldier.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,459 Posts
Yah. They weren't too concerned with a scratch when it was being used to possibly save their life or the life of a fellow soldier.
Very true it was more about slap the thing back together and get if functional, and ready to shoot. And other than the EZ in mod today they are still the most difficult part to get into it's proper place and because of the rounded to of the lever area pushing it up to relieve the detent pin.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts