1978 Colt Commander

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by too_pure, Dec 6, 2011.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Sometimes I am content with what I have, then something snaps and I start to obsessively seek out my next firearm. It becomes a way of life. I dream about them. It's the first ting I thhink about when I wake up. My iPhone becomes a portal to gun land :lol: And since I regretted selling my Colts so much (and my thread on this site about that very thing was part of what triggered the snap this time), and since I have never owned a commander length 1911, a Colt Commander became the object of my search. I monitored Gun Broker, Auction Arms, and Guns America and was pretty shocked at how high those things would get bid up, and how high the buy-it-now prices were. I always read what things are worth, but never see them sell for that amount. LGS's are ridiculous with their prices and the pawn shops I know are too. So I started looking on Backpage.com. Nothing. Then I remembered Cabelas Gun Library. I've seen some epic rip-offs there, but I took a look anyway. In frozen Minnesota was a very nice pre-80 series Commander with my name written all over it. I think the price is fair, the condition is as good as I could hope to afford, and it was shipped to the Glendale AZ location for me yesterday. Once it arrives I am going to give it a once over, and provided everything is as it seems, bring it home with me. I am very excited and wanted to share it with a bunch of fanatics who can appreciate it. I'll post some pics of my own once I have it in my posession, hopefully this weekend.

2415228_coltcommander_2.jpg
    2415228_coltcommander_1.jpg

Not 100% sure if it's a 1978 because the SN is tough to make out in the pic but it's in the late 70's range.

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Congrats on the score. I have one dream gun myself. I love Colts also and am glad you finally found what you were looking for. Do post more pics and a range report soon.

3. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    you are going to love the way it feels in your hand. My '75 lwt commander is dreamy

4. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
  5. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Congrats, glad you found what you wanted. :thumb:

Forgot they even had their gun library....

6. doc540

doc540 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    congrats!

dreamy, indeed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    That's a real beauty Doc....
    Did the box say 9mm?

8. Craig19

Craig19 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    That lookd great, congrats!

9. Dewidmt

Dewidmt New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I've got a "shooter grade" 1966 Commander and my local crack dealer, i.e. gun shop, has a nice 1951 that I am planning to put some bucks down on! Gotta love Commanders!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted