close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1980 Colt MK IV series 70?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by whisky22, Aug 30, 2011.

1. whisky22

whisky22 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Looking for my first 1911. My LGS has a pristine Colt MK IV S70 gov't model circa 1980. No scratches, 1 magazine, no box. It's on consignment, and he will give it to me for $850.
    He also has one in the same condition (c. 1980) with 1 mag and original box for $1000.

Both look too nice to shoot, although both barrels look as though a few rounds have been fired, but not many.

Neither has the mods I would want for carry, and I don't think I could bring myself to alter these pistols in any way. I eventually want to carry a 1911.

Are these a good deal?

2. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    $850 is not bad.

If they are not what you want for carry I would pass though. I have broken myself of buying things just because they are a deal or a pain to find. I picked up a Colt 70s Reissue earlier this year. It is just going to sit in the safe till I have the funds to use it as a base gun for a project.

3. whisky22

whisky22 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I think that's my dilemma. I would not carry this one, it's just too perfect.

4. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I would pass unless you are interested in having a range/safe queen. I have tried it and they always get sold to fund another toy. I am sure if you let everyone know what you want we can find you something in the range you want to spend that you will enjoy using!

I am attempting to break my selling and buying on some things! (Will not sell the 70s Colt my Revolvers or my EXO Glock 19)

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Here is a LNIB 1980 Colt MkIV/Series 70 that I bought a couple years for $900. I DO NOT shoot it, nor will I ever. It is one of my favorite safe queens. If you want one for investment purposes and have no plans to ever shoot it, I would spend the extra $150 for the one in the box, if the numbers match. If you cannot swing the extra cash, get the other one and put it away in a nice protective container. If you are looking for something to shoot, I would look at something else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. whisky22

whisky22 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I now think I should look somewhere else for a shooter. Both had been fired, but they looked so perfect it took me 10 minutes to put them down, after I asked for a cloth to wipe the gun of any of the schmutz from my hands...so pretty. Nice piece tb.

7. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    I bought one long time ago and it was a beautiful gun with the nicest blued finish I had ever seen at that time.
    But... I did not think of it as a collector piece or a safe queen and carried it for somewhere around 30 years.
    It has most of the blue worn off and looks like it went through the war.
    It served me well and is still a good gun.
    Funny how people look at things like this differently.
    I buy em to shoot and carry and sort of look at them as being made just for that purpose.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted