1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....as I posted a week or so ago...I came into a GREAT deal on a used, blued Springfield Armory Trophy Match from the 1990's. A good buddy at my PD (and SRU Teammate) is getting ready to retire, so he sold it to me for a whopping $500! He wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it and shoot the snot out of it...

So, I installed an ambi-safety, detail stripped it, did a bit of polishing on the internals, stoned the trigger track, and got the trigger pull down to a respectable 4.25#. The trigger has NO pre-travel or over-travel and a VERY short reset with a crisp break...but it's a HARD 4.25#'s of pressure to break the trigger. The slide/frame fit is VERY tight, and the barrel lockup is SOLID!....no rattles when I shake it...this gun IS TIGHT (and it has a few thousand rounds through it already).

Today I decided to just take it to the range and run it for the first time to see how accurate it is, how reliable it is, and how it would do with some of my reloads. The result.........THIS THING IS FRIGGIN' ACCURATE!!

I had some "Dot Torture" targets in my bag, so I used them...THE DOTS ARE 2" IN DIAMETER for reference....and I shot these targets OFF A REST...

Overall...very pleased with the accuracy of this gun. The trigger definitely needs some attention, and the front sight needs to go (it appears staked, so will probably have to send it out to have a dovetail milled in). I had ZERO issues with it running Fiocchi 230gr ball, Sellier & Bellot 230gr ball, and my reloads. Ejection patterns were consistent and back the right landing near my right side.

So...obligatory pics of the gun prior to shooting:
Gun Firearm Trigger Light Tan

Gun Brown Product Firearm White

Here are my 1st 8 rounds COLD at 10 yards:
Text Font Circle Silver Number

Another 8 rounds COLD at 10 yards (16 total...threw 1 slightly high left due to rest shifting):
Circle

Next up was 8 rounds at 18 yards (furthest our indoor range goes out to, and by the way, those Dots were HARD to see!)
Circle

Lastly was trying out some of my new reloads at 12 yards
(230gr Berry's and SNS Casting heads over 4.5gr's of Bullseye)

Handwriting Circle Signature Artificial flower Ink

For comparison....here are the same reloads at 12 yards out of my STI Trojan, which is a wicked accurate 1911
Invertebrate Insect Arthropod Pest Circle

and of course a pic of the Trojan:
Gun Firearm White Trigger Style

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice!!!!
Hard to see at 18 yards???? I'd be arguing with you that there AREN'T any dots!!!:roflmaro:
Damn straight Kippy! That big ole orange painted front sight covered them completely...Luckily, this baby is set up for a combat hold...it'll hit right to the top of the front sight, so I was able to still see the dots A LITTLE when I held at the bottom of the dot...

Reactions: Dub and Kip

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice these guns were designed to be shooters, the one I have is very accurate as well and I'm considering selling but, wouldn't even think of letting her go that cheap.
@Steve Owens ..I'd hunt you down and kick you in the head if you did let it go that cheap! LOL....This thing shoots like a $2k+ gun all day long.....although I may have to reserve a slot with you to do some slide work and maybe some checkering!

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
@Steve Owens ..I'd hunt you down and kick you in the head if you did let it go that cheap! LOL....This thing shoots like a $2k+ gun all day long.....although I may have to reserve a slot with you to do some slide work and maybe some checkering!
Mine is a checkered version that they started doing later on. Send it in I can fit ya in for some smaller stuff like that. Checkering bass's a lot to that gun for sure.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a checkered version that they started doing later on. Send it in I can fit ya in for some smaller stuff like that. Checkering bass's a lot to that gun for sure.
Cool! Got some ideas on simple stuff...will reach out via PM soon...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.