Colt 1st Year 1929 .38 Super - Who bought it?

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Acco40, May 12, 2020.

1. Acco40

Acco40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 4, 2013
    Dub likes this.
  2. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Not me it has an idiot scratch on it.

SLAM37 likes this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Holy crap, somebody stole that one . . . . . .

Serial # 33 . . . .

Dub and FWoo45 like this.
  4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    GEEEEZ! Forget any custom ever made by anyone, I'd rather have this one! I'm surprised this is not coming from WarParty's collection. What a gun!!!

It was probably worth their buy now price. I'm surprised it went for this price.

5. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Zoid, are you going to change the grips on it when it arrives to you? Be sure to show us more pictures. Congratulations buddy!

6. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    I hope no one here.. This is coming from one of the best colt collectors around:

"Buyer Beware.

A Colt archive letter can only offer information that Colt has on file. It can NOT verify originality or authenticity.

One of our more astute members had placed a bid on this one before doing his research. Upon discovery, he was left hoping to be outbid.

Luckily for him, he was out bid. Not so lucky for the winning bidder."

switchback likes this.
  7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I saw that a few days ago, it wasn't clean enough for my collection :confused: :roll: :roflmaro:

FWoo45 likes this.
  8. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    John,

You're no longer buying, remember?

9. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Original thread? What was determined to be the issue?

10. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    It was shared by Joe (from mag slab) in a private FB group... Im not the historian. Just sharing some general info that he did.

11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Got it. I thought it was on Addicts.

cundiff5535 likes this.
  12. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I pity anybody trying to get started collecting. High prices and fakes abound.

Imagine finding out somehow that a particular gun went to a famous person, getting the letter, and faking a gun to fit.

13. Acco40

Acco40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 4, 2013
    For the benefit of myself and others, could somebody far more knowledgable than myself tell me what the concerns might be with this pistol? Thanks.

Karl Beining likes this.
  14. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015
    Swartz safety hole in the bottom of the slide purportedly made 7 years before Colt did this, also upon close inspection a 4-5 digit serial was marked in the rear of this slide, then re numbered. Seller seems to be doing the right thing, buyer is not paying.

15. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thanks Karl

Acco40 and Karl Beining like this.
  16. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    It's like collecting old Rolex's, fakes, crooks and cobbled together time pieces. There's two or three really respected dealers in that area in which you are virtually guaranteed your time piece is real, authentic and not a frankenwatch.

Of course, you pay through the nose for those pieces but you know it's real and the dealer will buy the watch back if there's any issue that it wasn't as represented.

I would think a guy selling a $25k Colt would absolutely be qualified to represent the gun for what it is or isn't.

FWoo45 and cundiff5535 like this.
  17. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Whether Rolex's or Beanie Babies you have to be smarter than what you are fooling with. The slide shows the cutout for the Swartz safety, which didn't come out until late 1937. The back of the slide shows part of the original serial number, which wasn't 33.

18. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Thanks, Karl.

Any thoughts on the letter? What chance the Colonel really got #33, wherever it might have ended up?

19. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 8, 2015
    I really don't have a reason to believe there is anything wrong with the frame or the letter, just that the slide was replaced and force-matched. Likely the Ole Colonel had some decent sights put on the original slide all those years ago, and later when the gun was valuable someone felt the need to make it 'original' again

20. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    It can be expensive to learn the art of collecting virtually anything. And a gunshow or the internet isn't the place to learn, IMHO. I've gathered some collecting savvy the hard way myself, re $$$$$. Good luck to all

FWoo45 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted