200 grn. light load

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by jim merlock, Feb 26, 2019.

1. jim merlock

jim merlock Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Figured I'd ask here first. Wanting to put together a light 200grn.. load. I have N310, bullseye, and clays (old clays). How light of a charge have you used successively. Open to any other powders also.
    Thanks in advance
    Jim

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Capthobo and BigJimP like this.

3. jim merlock

jim merlock Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Sorry --Forgot to note I've looked at all reloading data and wondering if anyone has dropped any lower and found a softer accurate load.
    Again thanks Jim

4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014

5. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    I'm probably asking a stupid question, but what kind of firearm are you shooting it out of?
    I shoot 45 out of a revolver. Soft loads, work fine. I'm not sure they would cycle a semi's action.

Dub likes this.
  6. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I shoot 3.9 gr. of Clays in .45 acp

7. jim merlock

jim merlock Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Not a stupid question at all. I should have put that in blog. I shoot both a 625 and 1911's. I'm fortunate enough that I shoot two somtimes three time a week at a local indoor range. I just like to throw lead. 625 is double action only and I have to seat federal preimers deep for ignition, couple of Les Baer's with lighter spring set ups. Load on a 1050. I shoot lots of bullets. Thanks again Jim

8. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Out of my 625 I'm running 5.2g of 231 which is book minimum. I've not taken it lower but it is very soft.
    I also run 185 Ibeji lead/RN with 4.5gn of 231 and that's a serious powderpuff load.
    I've also heard very good things about Trail Boss.
    I'll be loading more of the Ibeji heads as soon as I get thru all my current bullets. I get tired of having too much stuff floating around and am trying to work thru everything I already have on hand. If I can find some Clay's and load it under the 185's I'll be thrilled.
    Best of luck.

Karsten likes this.
  9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    I tried n310 behind a 200 for a while. It was too dirty and the recoil was kinda heavy for a 170PF round. Ended up switching to clay dot. I’m about 4.0 grains with it. Recoil is quick and easy. Could be cleaner but it’s liveable

10. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I would have to go along with Topher.....I think I still have some 200 GRN SWC out there somewhere I played with but I think I got it down to 4.8 grn of 231....I will have to check in the AM and find my red boxes....I wrote everything on top of my test rounds back them.

Karsten

Dub likes this.
  11. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    I shoot 4.0 grns Bullseye with 200 gr SWC.

12. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    310 = 4.1
    Bullseye = 4
    all i have is new clays @ 3.6 is NICE

Steve B and gps man like this.
  13. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    For several years, my favored load for the 200 gr. H&G #68 style cast bullets has been 4.2 grains of Clays. It is a mild target load, very clean burning, and I don't have to use a lighter than standard recoil spring for it to function 100%.

rmac and gps man like this.
  14. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I use 4.8 gr of Bullseye in a 200 LSWC, but I'm going to dial that down to about 4.2. I get great accuracy results, but shooting some HST on Saturday, I noticed only a slight increase in recoil, so running those handloads a bit hot. I've chronographed the load to around 900 fps, but I think the Magnetospeed has some accuracy issues with coated lead.

duketbrd88 and gps man like this.
  15. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Vihtavuori actually has a smart phone app. The data is updated fairly often. I’ve actually gone below the recommendations with N-310 for some bullseye loads with a 200gr SWC and am still trying to figure out exactly what load I will settle on. Some of that has come from arthritis and hand surgery on both hands that has slowed me down and also started me searching for a little more hand friendly load.

Without question N-310 is the best metering powder that I have ever tried.

Dub and DukeSoprano like this.
  16. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    4.0 Bullseye under a 200 grain SWC or a 185 SWC.

Accurate, easy shoot all day load.

Dub, duketbrd88 and Chris Stoneking like this.
  17. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    The guy above nailed it.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dub likes this.
  18. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Before going over to N310, my FLG found that 4.0 gr Bull and a 200 gr SWC would function almost all 1911s with stock recoil spring. I'm down at 3.5 with a 10-12 lb spring.

gps man likes this.
  19. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    When I shot the low power target loads in a couple of my 1911's years ago 3.5 of Bullseye was the most accurate of the powders back then. ALSO it was the lightest load that would function the pistol every time. 3.2gr would not do it. This was with WCC brass which has less internal volume than commercial brass because it is thicker being military spec stuff. Found this out because if a commercial piece got mixed in it would not cycle the slide and feed another round. :)

gps man likes this.
  20. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    3.5 bullseye gives me 600 fps. or a little more for a 200 SWC. 4.0 is 700 fps, give or take. 700 fps seems to be the best for Bullseye. (most accurate)

David

gps man likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted