1. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm looking at ordering some bullets pretty quick, maybe even tonight. I've been loading 230gr FMJ's just because they matched my store bought ammo, and it seemed easier for someone new to reloading. Now I have more experience loading, and I want to try some lead or plated. I've seen a lot of people, across many forums, that load SWC's for plinking and competitions. It seems like it has a good reputation and it's drawn me in. Now I just need to find the best deal! So where do you buy your 200gr SWC's?

Pro's and Con's would be good, too. I'll list a few that I've read or been informed of.

200gr. SWC (lead or plated)

Pro's
    1. Price vs. FMJ
    2. Nice clean holes in paper
    3. Accuracy? (Debatable)

Con's
    1. Smokey (L)
    2. Gun might not like it (feeding)
    3. Lead! (if it's lead, anyway :lol:)

Anyway, just trying to squash this quick. I'm down to about 50 230gr FMJ's, and about that many more store bought rounds, then I'm OUT OF AMMO!!! (Except my carry ammo, of course)

Note: I'm not opposed to continuing shooting RN's if the pro's outweigh the con's.

2. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Bumping for more info... Need to order something today!!!

3. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  4. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Looks like I may go with Mastercast. They do seem to be one of the cheapest out there.

5. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Well, it's done. Just ordered 500 200gr SWC from Mastercast. I was going to get 1000, but I'll wait and see how I like them.

6. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    When I order it will be in 10K. lots for a 10% discount.

7. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I don't know what powder you're using but this bullet works well and clean with W231.

8. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Using No. 5 for now. I'm going to buy one other brand sooner or later. I just don't want to have too many choices right now.

9. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Great bullit!!!! Load to OAL to 1.245 and you should have no problems with feeding.

10. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    All my 1911's in 45 acp have not had any trouble feeding the #68 type bullet...

11. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks for that little tidbit. I read somewhere that if you have trouble with feeding it could most likely be solved by adjusting the OAL.

Do you guys roll or taper crimp your lead? I've got the Lee Carbide dies in a Pro 1000 progressive. I don't recall them mentioning crimp at all.

Might be something I need to get set up for if I'm not capable of doing it already.

12. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    45 acp= taper crimp only. The case head spaces on the mouth of the case. Crimp to .469 to .470 and you should be good to go. When you seat the bullet to 1.245 you will have a finger nail thickness of shoulder sticking out of the case.

13. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Cool, thank you. So far I've only loaded 230gr FMJ, this whole lead thing is new to me... I got a bad feeling I'm about to become a scavenger for lead if these shoot well. I'll be buying up everything I need to make my own!

14. doc1911

doc1911 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 1, 2011
    I load my Missouri Bullet 200gr LSWC to 1.250" all my guns eat um up! Zero hiccups. 2000 bullets ~$150 delivered

15. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Just a heads up, the lube with the Mastercasts like to get in your dies sometime. So you'll get it on the surface of the bullets. I just clean all my bullets before putting them in the Dillon boxes for storage

16. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks for the info. If that becomes a problem I may just give them a quick tumble to clean them off, or keep a towel beside the box and wipe them as I go.

17. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    A shot of Brake Parts cleaner on a terry towel and that'll do a ton of them. I just twist them in the towel real quick and good to go

18. dilespla

Oct 12, 2011
    Just got back from the range. I liked the accuracy of the LSWC, but my gun didn't feed them as reliably as I had hoped. I've still got some playing around to figure it out. I'm thinking shortening the O.A.L. might help it. This is what I loaded yesterday.

200gr. LSWC
    6.1gr. #5
    Velocity 777.5
    StDev 7.04

6.6gr #5
    Velocity 780
    StDev 5.48

All were set at 1.245 - 1.250 O.A.L.

Both were very accurate. I couldn't tell any difference on paper. My chrono was acting stupid though, giving me velocities as low as 180 and as high as 1700... I know for a fact that it wasn't shooting that sporadically. I dropped all questionable velocities from my calculations. I might just have to redo the test and use the radar setup at work. It doesn't lie!

Overall I'm happy with the accuracy. The mild load was easy on the wrists. They didn't smoke as much as I thought they would, but I wasn't shooting fast. I was writing each velocity and clearing jams, plus it was a little windy. Now if I can work out the FTFeed problem I think I'll be completely happy.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  19. Carolinaboy

Sep 17, 2011
    I notice a lot more FTF with LSWC for sure. Just play with the OAL. I know my Kimber & Colt both like the 1.245-1.250 OAL

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted