close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2010 DW CCO Review and Range Report

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by knedrgr, Aug 16, 2011.

1. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    2010 Dan Wesson CCO:

[​IMG]

I don't have a macro camera lens, so I can't get detail macro pictures. Hope these will work.

Range / Target:
    The target was at 7-yard out. I used a 2-handed, modified isosceles stance.

Ammo:
    I only ran 50 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ thru the gun. EVERY rounds fed and fired without any issues. Out of the 50 rounds, I had a few fliers, and those were from my trigger finger. I'm not a competition shooter, but I think this works for me. And I'm sure the BG won't like the outcome either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Magazines:
    Many different officer magazines were used. Only 5 rounds were loaded in each mag.
    (2) DW magazines. Came stock with the CCO.
    (2) SA magazines. Came stock with my SA Ultra Compact.
    (1) Kimber. Looked to be stock that I had bought from another member.
    I had tried to use Wilson 47OX mags, but they wouldn't lock into the pistol. :dunno: Other than the Wilson's, it didn't have any issues with any of the mags. Slide locked on each empty mag.

Trigger:
    It's stock and unmodified. I haven't done a weight pull on a scale, so I don't have exact numbers. And CZ doesn't have a spec on their site. But it does feel lighter than my 5.5 lbs on my SA Ultra Loaded. So I'm guessing it's somewhere in the range of 3.5-4.0 lbs. I might bring it up to match my SA. And ultimately, it's going to get a Wilson flat trigger.
    UPDATED: measured the trigger today, and its average is 3lbs 8.2oz.

Frame:
    The forged aluminum is really nicely done. The black anodized color is unified and closely matches the black "Duty" treatment of the forged slide. I really like the chain-link pattern that's used on the front strap and rear MSH. It provides some grip without the overpowering of the traditional line checkerings. Personally, I don't like line checkings on my 1911's. The slide stop is so easy to put back into the frame, during the assembly. This should help to reduce the "idiot scratch" on the frame. The frame and slide is tightly fitted.

Slide:
    The slide is hand fitted to the frame, and the serial number is etched into the slide, thus matching the frame. Quality. The slide's Duty finish is nice. It seems to be pretty tuff, but I did see a few markings, after the range. There are about 5 marks that seems to be from the brass casings. There are two marks on the rear of the ejection port. Two more marks are on top of the slide, 1-o'clock on the slide. And weirdly, I found a mark at the edge of the front sight's Novak area. I'm assuming these are from hot casings that bounced off the stall's wall. Hope's 9 cleaner couldn't get them off, so they might be permanent.

Barrel / Bushing:
    The barrel and bushing is really nice. The slide/bushing is tightly fitted, and I had to used the supplied bushing wrench to remove the bushing and barrel. I forgot to take the digital caliper to measures; 1) the OD and ID of the bushing, 2) the ID of the slide, and 3) the OD of the barrel.

[​IMG]

Grips
    Stock DW wood grips are nice. They are stock thickness, and aren't slim version. Which I find funny, since the Guardian comes with slim grips. Since the CCO is more of a carry gun, it should come with slim grips. I'm in the process of looking for slim grips, but haven't settle on a set, yet. Slim grip bushings were ordered and will be installed with slimmer grips.

Sights
    The stock sights are Novak cuts. Both sights are Trijicon night sights; front is a green tritium, and the rear has two yellow tritium lamps. They are still bright, even in the well lit range stall. However, a new 10-8 solid rear sight is on order and will be installed. I find it easier to get on target with just the lit front sight.

Overall, I'm so glad this gun is part of my arsenal. It's a great shooter and is priced almost $1K less than some of the other high-end, semi-custom 1911s. I think this is one of the best production 1911. Best bang-for-the-buck... pun intended.

2. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Great post. My CCO is a real shooter as well. :)

3. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks Joe. I do like it a lot. Such a balance gun.

4. djackson

djackson Member

Aug 18, 2011
    nice shooting, love the CCO

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I do like the DW's... Cheers.. Ron

6. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks.

7. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Nice! I'm a fan of Dan Wesson and I handled one of those a week or so at the GS and really liked it.

deadite

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted