2011 - Any better choice to go with than Infinity?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Haraise, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    So I have my EMP 9mm... and I thought I wanted a DW Guardian. Or a Vbob. Or a Ed Brown KC.

And I keep coming back to SVI guns. I can deal with the lead time, the price. But... I really don't want to, if I don't have to. There's at least one company that does custom grips (and that's the big concern for me, I really need a small grip) that I'd like to use.

I see their base price gun is 3400, and four years ago it was 1700... that seems quite off to me, enough to make me look somewhere else.

So, is there any better place to go to than SVI for a 2011 design, to build up a gun for carry?

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    You might want to check out the Brian Enos forums. There are a lot of places that do custom work on 2011's, however most are STI's. You could probably get a modified limited gun and use that.

Maybe someone like Brazo's or Akai.

4. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'd be surprised if you were displeased with the Vbob or Kobra Carry... that said, if what you want is a custom 1911, please keep us informed along the way!

5. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    I really like the VBob, and to be honest the only reason I don't have one right now is because I couldn't imagine getting a stainless gun. Even if it's stainless coated in black. Too much engineer in me saying that this material is suboptimal. The DW Guardians I've felt were nice, but it just didn't have that special feel that the VBob had. Again, that's why I didn't get one of those.

Posted up at Enos, thank you. I've sent out messages to a couple smiths, asking why I should go with them instead of SVI... I have a feeling I'm too much of a perfectionist to go with anyone but SVI in the end, but we'll see.

Thanks everyone. :)

6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    go for it, it's only money, right?

I liked my EMP, EB KC and DWaG, but have sold them. I like my STI Tactical 4.15 for carry and i'm planning on building a 2011.

7. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    $3400 isn't bad on a base gun, especially given the quality of SVI. I don't think you could do better than an SVI on a custom 2011.

8. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Infinity makes the best 2011s, in my opinion.

They're top notch in every way.

9. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm very curious why you seem profound on a 2011, yet slimmer grips? Are you completely against a custom 1911?

Like I mentioned, there are other builders that are very well known in the competitive scene, but if it were MY money for a 2011, I'd have an Infinity. Otherwise, I'd strongly suggest looking into getting a custom 1911 made.

Only catch is, most top tier smiths have 4+ year waiting lists.

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    capacity would be my guess. the standard 2011 grip is 1/4" larger overall, but mine are just a hair narrower than a 1911 with standard grips.

11. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Don, your avatar cracks me up. :lol:

12. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Yep, capacity. There are people telling me that they can get the under guard circumference down lower than 5.25, the middle at 5.5 and the bottom just over 5.5. This compares favorably with my CZ 75 with thin aluminum grips, about .5 less all around. It's actually about exactly the same circumference as my EMP, which has slim VZs and a smaller than 1911 frame.

I was considering the unthinkable and getting a glock 19.

I couldn't bring myself to do it, and 2011 it is. The Enos forum is telling me there are a few smiths, but I hear SVI puts Les Baer to shame. I wonder if anyone can really match them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  13. Tallahassee

Tallahassee New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Apologies for going off topic, but if you don't mind my asking, why did you decide to sell the Kobra Carry?

14. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Feel free to ask, but I think it was because he was carrying the STI 4.15 Tactical instead...

15. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Because out of my collection its replaceable and I haven't shot or carried it in months. Planning on building another 2011

16. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep that too.

17. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I heard he was transitioning to all Glocks. :peep:

18. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    I'm currently ordering a custom 9mm 2011. Quack, would you mind telling me, if you did it again, would you go 4", 4.25" or 5" with a carry 9mm 2011? I can't decide.

19. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Just bought another M&P yesterday

20. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    My tactical 4.15 is actually 4.26". I would do it again for carry. Its also a 9mm.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted