2011 Blackwater Shootout

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by rsxr22, Nov 2, 2011.

1. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a little feedback from the US Training Center in Moyock, NC. Just got back a few days ago and got caught up with work so i have a minute to talk a little about the experience.

We arrived there on sat and got our passes and headed in. It is one of the coolest places I have ever seen! The road course, airport, and ship battle stations were super impressive!!! There were probably over 20 ranges and all of them state of the art. We shot the steel side match on saturday. It was set up a lot like a Steel Challenge match and was definitely a blast. Im still awaiting scores for both matches, but I feel very confident that I placed on saturday. After the last shot was fired, we headed over to their "pro shop". They had a lot of LE/Mil gear, but had some clothing too and everything was at extremely good prices.

On Sunday, we shot the IDPA match. It was unlike anything i have ever done before because the entire match took place in various shoothouses. I dont feel confident about my performance on sunday. Lots of procedurals for cover and what killed my score entirely was when i blew right past a closed door that had 2 threats inside. So 10 pts down x 2 and 2 FTN's-which equals out to 20 seconds added to my time :mad2:. The shooting was not too difficult and most threats were up close and personal, but stages were shot 2 in a row so it was pretty much impossible to remember anything from the walk through and it was basically shooting the stages blind. I always felt like i was creeping when i was on the clock and wanted to go faster, hence the 4 procedurals for cover, but overall I had a great deal of fun(which its all about). Our squad was also a riot and we met some good people and made some life long friends. I wish i would have been able to get some videos, but i dont have a hat mounted camera or anything of the sorts so sadly you guys dont get to see the hell i was going through on sunday!

Anyway, i also found out the entire story of Blackwater, if anyone is interested. The facility itself was sold by Eric Prince awhile back and purchased by a private individual who named it US Training Center. The facility is actually in the process of being sold again and will have new owners as soon as next week. The contracting side of the business was renamed to "XE" and is still in full motion, just receiving a few contracts from the Gov't to do work overseas. The name "Blackwater" is still alive and well, but no longer has anything to do with training or contracting. Prince has now branded the name and is soon going to be coming out with gear, clothing, and other shooting and tactical accessories.

--I have one more match in the 2011 calendar year over in the Phili area at the end of Nov. As of right now I have 7600 rounds through my CQB I received in March. I will be well over 10k by the Valley Forge match, and I am also heading down to train with Vogel in 2 weeks. After that, the smith indoor nationals is slated for March and then Im pretty confident I am going to focus primarily on USPSA for the next year. IDPA while a great game, is going through a lot of problems right now and I am thinking of taking a break from it until they are ironed out. The sport seems to become unsure of its direction. They are not happy that people are gaming it, but in turn, it is a game!! But that is my .02

2. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Awesome! Glad you had a good trip dude. Sounds badass. :thumb:

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Sounds like it was a blast! Yeah, too bad about no helmet cam video; would have been fun to see. :smilie:

Andy

4. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I bet Don or Cuong had one you could have used. Helmet cam or something you could have improvised.

5. dnuggett

dnuggett Your ad goes here for $20/month or $200/year Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
  6. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    Glad you had a great time. Was down there for a couple of there LEO/GOV classes and the place as well as the people are first class. Would like to go back. Maybe someday.
    My folks live about 1.5 hrs away.

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I agree LBC. Everything was ran very "efficient"

8. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Did you get a SMedium Blackwater shirt?

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Nice Bobby.

Helmet cam...it's call an iPhone fools!

10. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, running a pistol drill while holding an iPhone makes perfect sense.

11. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    It's call duct tape...

12. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Indeed! It fits my muscles extremely well

13. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    While I dont normally agree with Paul.... Definitely not a well thought answer Cuong!

14. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted