1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope 2011s are close enough to 1911s for the purposes of this forum!

My next build may well be a 2011. And I’m thinking about a Cheely Custom frame together with an Extreme Shooters small DVC STI grip.

Has anyone had any experience with that combination? Good or bad?

I’m assuming they will mate up just fine, but I’m new to the 2011 platform.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have a CK Arms Limited gun and an Open gun. Both are amazing. I would call Bobby and ask what he recommends.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
In for the info as Im currently gathering parts for my first 2011 build.

·
The Tinker
4,250 Posts
Speaking about the STI 2011:

From the top of the grip down (including the unique mag catch and trigger), it's a 2011. From there up it's a 1911. Including the grip safety and the MSH.

Oh, but the pin for the MSH is longer than a stock 1911 piece. The guts are stock 1911 hardware.

Having said that, I'd check with whomever you're buying the frame from to verify that standard parts can be used. For example someone make market a slightly thicker frame that requires a unique SS pin and/or hammer and sear pins.

Jem 'I think' uses standard (STI) dimensions on it's frame. I have no idea what Cheely does.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've used CK frames with Caspian slides with very nice results
Get a 2011 Pin kit as the ejector pin is slightly different on a 2011 vs 1911 and obviously the MSH pin is different. MSH, Trigger and Mag release are different
All other parts are the same

·
The Tinker
4,250 Posts
Forgot about the ejector pin being different. Someday I may pin mine. Or not.

Reactions: HOGRIDER

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The more I study, the less I like the idea of a plastic grip. If/when I do this, I'm going to have to swallow the cost of a steel grip. But I have somewhat small hands and short fingers (I use thin grips and a short trigger on my 1911s) which means I'll need to try to find examples to handle.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I went steel on my 2011's after a while went back to the plastic grips.
But I think I'm far from the norm on the grip opinion.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
The majority of people going with steel grips are competitors looking to add weight to their gun. Now yes NightHawk and GI are using metal grips but I think that is to differentiate their brand and justify the hefty price tags on the upgrade.

That said I have a full custom carry build in the works now with an aluminum grip with a titanium slim magwell.

·
The Tinker
4,250 Posts
The majority of people going with steel grips are competitors looking to add weight to their gun. Now yes NightHawk and GI are using metal grips but I think that is to differentiate their brand and justify the hefty price tags on the upgrade.

That said I have a full custom carry build in the works now with an aluminum grip with a titanium slim magwell.
Sounds interesting... Hope to see some pics when completed. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What don't you like about the standard grip? It’s lightweight and it help mitigate recoil.
The standard grip is plastic and I have a very strong preference for metal guns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts