1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some opinions from some forum members. Someone on the forum made me an offer that I couldn’t refuse for my STI DVC Omni 45. So I am looking to replace it with either an Atlas, Phoenix Trinity Honcho, SVI, or the Alchemy Quantico. This will be a range gun. What I am looking for is a full length 9mm that can sport a red dot optic in the future. I would like to get a comped 9mm because well I don’t have one but I really like the Alchemy. The Phoenix Trinity Honcho seems to be the best bang for the buck. However, I don’t know much about them. The Atlas will be the next step up but it offers less features but has a great reputation. The SVI is tops but it will be the most expensive but I will get to design and build it. But worth 3-4K better? Thanks and looking forward to everyone’s opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Honcho was designed from the ground up for, a heavy use competition gun that could be re configured to shoot multi division and or events.
Generally they are very well received and there is a lot of info on Benos forum which is mainly a competition forum.

SVI very nice again mostly a top tier competition equipment.

Atlas seems to hold its own with the fan boys and gets decent ratings from every body else.

Alchemy top ratings here and via most who own them. The one I've handled was wonderfully nice. Call them and ask what are they willing to do as far as adding to a build (comp etc) after the gun has been built.

Honestly probably can't go wrong with any of them. You're asking for opinions! Based on what you said you want or may want in the future
The Honcho will be the most versatile.
Alchemy most traditional with honestly being a hand built, small builder gun
SVI IMO not what you'll be able to change without the cost of a complete new gun
Atlas lots of used ones around, so you can find a good deal on one. Especially now because it is the off season for uspsa competitions.
FWIW

Reactions: Roehl

·
Registered
872 Posts
The Honcho's are definitely interesting and were on my short list of considered builds, also cross shopping with SVI, Hayes and Atlas. From what I have read on BEnos they seem to be very nice guns and the modularity is attractive. Ultimately I decided against the Honcho due to some negative reports regarding build times that were considerably longer than quoted and aesthetically there slide cut options were my least favorite.

I wanted a single port comp set up for 9mm minor, which SVI and Hayes do not make, so that left Atlas. I also really liked the Hyperion slide cuts and Cheely E2 grips.

Personally, I am thrilled with how my Atlas turned out. The thing runs like a sewing machine and has the best trigger job I've ever felt.

IMO the Alchemy doesn't really compare with the others. No doubt it is still a nice gun, but the build philosophy is completely different, and every bit as attractive in its own right. In that category it is also worth considering a Chambers Phat WMG. For something similar to that catagory of double stack I currently have Nighthawk building me a double stack Firehawk "because I am obsessed with comps" with a stippled STI polymer grip.

I guess what I am driving at is, buy them all

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Honcho's are definitely interesting and were on my short list of considered builds, also cross shopping with SVI, Hayes and Atlas. From what I have read on BEnos they seem to be very nice guns and the modularity is attractive. Ultimately I decided against the Honcho due to some negative reports regarding build times that were considerably longer than quoted and aesthetically there slide cut options were my least favorite.

I wanted a single port comp set up for 9mm minor, which SVI and Hayes do not make, so that left Atlas. I also really liked the Hyperion slide cuts and Cheely E2 grips.

Personally, I am thrilled with how my Atlas turned out. The thing runs like a sewing machine and has the best trigger job I've ever felt.

IMO the Alchemy doesn't really compare with the others. No doubt it is still a nice gun, but the build philosophy is completely different, and every bit as attractive in its own right. In that category it is also worth considering a Chambers Phat WMG. For something similar to that catagory of double stack I currently have Nighthawk building me a double stack Firehawk "because I am obsessed with comps" with a stippled STI polymer grip.

I guess what I am driving at is, buy them all

View attachment 687309
I just love your atlas. If I get one, I will have it’s brother made . I have an SVI and a combat master that both shoot amazing. I want to go with the option of having an optic or not with this one. I also am leaning towards a comped barrel as well. Right now it’s between the Honcho and Atlas. If I go with the Honcho, I will wait until they run a special. I don’t mind waiting since I have so many guns to shoot. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Out of the brands you mentioned I would go Atlas first then PT. PT builds great guns and is very well respected but you’re limited on options right now. SVI is great but it’s hard to stomach the cost difference unless you’re building a $7k+ gun that will look like no other.

If you’re looking to replace an Omni then get an Atlas Erebus and call it a day.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I have narrowed my choice between the Honcho and Atlas. Thanks for the advice !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts