1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO in my two STIs, the only problems I have ever had, I was getting FTF with HP ammo. This weekend i tried Syntech 147grn and it would stop on the feedramp loading the first round. If I manually dropped the round in the chamber, closed the slide, it would run full mags, so it was only on emergency reloads.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'd stay away from Syntech then. Dropping the first round in the chamber and releasing the slide forces the extractor hook to jump over the rim in an unnatural fashion and will eventually damage it so that is not the solution. Perhaps the coating on the Syntech creates more friction/ drag?

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,301 Posts
Most "factory" guns with ramped barrels have too steep of a ramp. It's true. It's an easy fix for a real gunsmith to cut that ramp to a 28-29 degree angle though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SO in my two STIs, the only problems I have ever had, I was getting FTF with HP ammo. This weekend i tried Syntech 147grn and it would stop on the feedramp loading the first round. If I manually dropped the round in the chamber, closed the slide, it would run full mags, so it was only on emergency reloads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In 1911/2011 never put a round in the barrel and drop the slide, you will brake the extractor buck or bend the extractor and it want work (extract). Most of the time feeding with 2011 is week mag springs. Have you loaded and left the mags full?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i only did it twice to load those two mags. I feel like all the springs on STI mags feel week but they work 100% unless its a slide lock reload of a HP or flat nose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I only have about 2k through my guns and the only 2 malfunctions I've experienced were with Federal Syntech 115. Both malfunctions were failures to feed. The round would get caught on the bottom of the feedramp.

Both rounds got stuck low on the feed ramp.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This caused be week mag springs. You need Grams spring and followers. 13 coil they work in 140 and 170 mags.Be sure you get the 9 mm spring and followed you also have to have the spacer for the ST a 2011 mag

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried running 200 rounds of American Eagle 147 (flat nosed) through the P DUO today. Got 9 failures to feed. 2 were rounds caught low on the feed ramp. The other 7 were wedged into the chamber and unable to get the rim under the extractor - I think this is a common 1911 style freeway stoppage.

A gentle pull back of the slide would alleviate the pressure on the nose of the round and I could see the rim slide under the extractor claw. I could then release the slide and it would chamber and go into battery.

IMG_0928.jpg

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I tried running 200 rounds of American Eagle 147 (flat nosed) through the P DUO today. Got 9 failures to feed. 2 were rounds caught low on the feed ramp. The other 7 were wedged into the chamber and unable to get the rim under the extractor.
Have you called STI about it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried running 200 rounds of American Eagle 147 (flat nosed) through the P DUO today. Got 9 failures to feed. 2 were rounds caught low on the feed ramp. The other 7 were wedged into the chamber and unable to get the rim under the extractor.
How many mags did you use? Were the 9 stoppages across multiple mags?

On another platform I had issues with some hp ammo and flat points. I ended up using Critical Duty 135gr as my go to, even after the pistol and mags were fixed by the manufacturer.

I am expecting my Staccato P 4.15" to eat all flavors of factory ammo.

·
Registered
99 Posts
These occurred in a P DUO 4.15 wearing an SRO.

I have not yet contacted STI. They've been great for any of my issues so far, so no doubt they will be responsive.

I used 10 mags - the 9 stoppages occurred in 7 of the mags. All mags are gen2. 3 were teflon 126mm and 3 were stainless 140mm and one was a 126mm stainless.

Up until today, I have around 2k of various 115 and 147 through it (all round nose) and only had 2 stop on the lower feed ramp - both were federal syntech 115.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 147 TMJ which is another flat nosed round. Got 2 stoppages, 1 got caught low on the ramp (I barely touched the slide and it went home into battery) and 1 was a high angle freeway stoppage (bringing the slide slightly back allowed it to feed).

Tried 100 rounds of Defender 147 round nose and got 4 of those high angle stoppages... that's never happened before with any round nose. This bothered me.

I'll let you know what STI says.
IMG_0946.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0949.jpg

First two photos are the Speer Lawman 147
Second two photos are examples of the Defender 147 round nose high angles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a bunch of STI magazines and MBX magazines...I think I have around two dozen mags total.

My 126mm and 170mm STI mag has had the same issues seen in this thread but ONLY on the first round fed out of a full magazine. 140mm mags have been fine. My assessment is that it is tied to a combination of weak springs and heavier-than-average rounds with a flat face. If you were shooting 115gr Lawman this issue may never present itself or diminish in frequency. This should be an easy fix with new/better springs or converting over to the far more expensive MBX magazines for "when it counts."

While you wait for new/fixed magazines from STI...

I practice with my STI mags (where I rarely exceed 10rds in a mag), and will use the 140mm mags for USPSA stages where I know I will not need the entire magazine before I proactively reload the gun (IE I can look at a stage, determine I will fire no more than 14 rounds before a planned reload, the start the stage with 18rds in a 20rd magazine). For 170mm, 155mm (an MBX-specific length), and carry magazines I will stick with MBX.

Word on the street is STI will continue their product improvement and we'll see another generation of magazines at some point.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Interesting development on new STI mags for 9mm. Thanks for sharing that info.

I took the P 4.15 DUO out with another 200 rounds of AE147. I had less than half of the previous outings malfunctions (4 total, 2 stoppages low on the ramp and 2 stoppages that were higher angled feed attempts). The only variable changed was the lack of an X300U. This is not isolated to a few mags. It will happen with 126, 140, teflon coated, or stainless mags.

For flat nosed bullets:
In total, out of about 400 AE147, there have been 13 stoppages. Out of 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 147 there have been 2.

I'm going to run round nose for a while and will report. I've had about 2k of round nose 147 and 115 through it no issues. It also feeds Critical Duty 135 standard and Gold Dot 124 +P with ease.

STI hasn't responded to my email yet so I will give them a call tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts