2011's...double the capacity means double the price?

Discussion in 'STI/2011' started by eboggs, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. eboggs

eboggs Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Been thinking for awhile, why is it that some of these 2011's coming to the market now from some semi custom shops are almost pushing FULL CUSTOM pricing....?

Could it be because before they were really 'mainstream' your only options really were STI (basically a nice production gun pushing semi custom money) or SVI Infinity (full custom with a price to match).

Now, in my ignorant little world, I can't imagine almost DOUBLE the money going into building a semi custom 2011 compared to a 1911....Of course I could be wrong...Could it be to outsourcing the frame/grip? If that is true? Or could it just be because "...it's a 2011, with the 20 comes money..."

I'd like to get one of these semi custom 2011s, but the price turns me away....because I don't see where double the work comes in....

Enlighten me if I'm completely off base here. Not bashing, just scratching my head.

2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Economies of scale, equipment changeovers and specialization of talent. All that is going to cost more.
    STI cranks them out by the thousands. GCI and NHC not so much. Costs money to swap out the equipment. Plus, those grips they use are PT grips and are MSRP $500+ each. In bulk they are less, but at least 4x that of a STI stock grip.
    I will say without a doubt the quality in the NHC and GCI double stacks are way above and beyond STI. I have to assume that's why STI keeps pumping out these oddities (not in a bad way) like the Staccato- NHC and GCI are eating into their market.

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I dont think its limited to double stacks only, the semi-customs are definitely escalating in price rather rapidly.

SVI excluded (Infinity).. I dont think I have seen one yet that is actually "double" the price. Course I could be missing something or two or three.

4. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Assuming STI is about the same quality as DW, the premiums for their base models is only 50% (roughly comparing MSRP)

5. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah I've wondered this as well, makes me want an Atlas or a Triarc. Only because after a "tune" and grip change you could have had that in the price as new. But it's still in the 3K+ range. Can buy a lot of very nice single stack 1911's that shoot just as nice. And I'm not talking from a competition side, cause I'm really not interested in that side at all.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  6. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I have shot the Guncrafter Hellcat x2, and I have to say nothing shoots like it, not even the STIs I have shot.

STIs start at $1500 and go up. They are worth it.

The GI Hellcat x2 starts at around $3900. Is it worth it?

Damn straight it is, and it is on my bucket list of “must have and shoot lots of rounds through”.

DPGI likes this.
  7. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Nighthawk is selling their pistols as a double stack option for $600 over base gun. That is about what the grip they are useing sells for MSRP.

There are more producers in the 2011 grip game these days and prices will go down.

I haven’t seen any model that’s 2X pricing.

8. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I think there is definitely room in the market for a 2011 under $2K. Of course, it will have to be reliable. Dan Wesson was mentioned above - with CZ behind them they could have the ability to bring out a competitively priced 2011 of the same quality as their 1911s.
    Jeff

9. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    STI has had quite a few models MSRP under $2k over the years.

HOGRIDER likes this.
  10. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    As NHC and GCI (and even our custom Smiths) have started digging into that market, I have no doubt you're going to see prices adjust accordingly. Definitely going down at some point, but the interest levels generated by the big names is keeping them artificially high.
    Again, that PT grip is 4x that of the poly STI grip- so add in that amount.
    While I really like my STIs, the quality in the NHC Falcon DS that I have just blows away my STIs. For once, the extractor doesn't need tweaking- it came to me ready to work perfectly out of the box.
    Keep in mind that only two guns in the entire STI lineup is $1,999 or under. The vast majority are in the $2,500+ range, so the other guys aren't totally out of the realm in pricing.

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  11. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    A reasonably priced 2011 or double stack is the RIA in 22 TCM and 9 mm.
    I believe under $700

12. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    "Keep in mind that only two guns in the entire STI lineup is $1,999 or under. The vast majority are in the $2,500+ range, so the other guys aren't totally out of the realm in pricing."

Or, you can keep an eye open for good deals offered by members here on gently used STIs and save a lot of $$$. :)

13. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Beware, beware. The RIA while a double stack is in no way a 2011. The grip and frame are one monolithic metal piece. It’s heavier and bigger than a 2011. It is a budget double stack but it is in no way comparable to a 2011.

14. HOGRIDER

HOGRIDER Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Haven't done any research; but have "heard" these are coming in just under $1500........

https://spspistols.eagleimportsinc.com/spspistols/firearms/sps-pantera-series

IMO, I'd add a few hundred with that and go for the Staccato P!!!!!

:popcorn:

15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    There are some guys running them over at Brian Enos as competition guns. I don’t really hear anything bad but at the same time nothing stellar. I have heard of s lot of parts breaking on them with relatively low round counts. Most guys end up upgrading most of the internals. I feel like they’re a good entry level gaming gun but when you figure how much money you’ll spend swapping out sub par and mim parts you could have bought a STI or better.

The STI Hawk is/was priced under $1500 and uses better quality parts and has STI’s lifetime warranty (same one as one of their $4000 guns).

I’m not sure how SPS got around STI’s 2011 patent for so long, the magazines are even interchangeable.

HOGRIDER likes this.