Les Baer 2013 Custom Carry

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by El Perdido, Mar 26, 2019.

1. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    So I picked up this "used" circa 2013 Baer Custom Carry yesterday. I had purchased it from a "take a shot" deelio on Gunbroker with an obscenely low bid. When I picked it up from my FFL, I could not find any marks on the pistol from use at all. The only thing was a slight shiny ring on the barrel from the bushing and a tiny scuff on the barrel hood. I don't think the previous owner shot it much if at all.

Pistol was really tight, I replaced the springs with Wolff 16lb recoil, 23lb mainspring and the XP firing pin spring when I got it home yesterday so I would have a known starting point. Today at the range, I treated it like a new one, had two brass to face/one failure to feed in the first 25 rounds. I ran it really wet, and put a total of 200 rounds of 230gr Golden Sabers and the rest some Remington ball. Pistol ran like a swiss watch after the first 25 rounds. Gonna put several hundred more though it next week. Just freekin WOW
    IMG_0027.JPG

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Good news! I have my site set on a Nighthawk next but these classic old school Baer's really appeal to me. I look forward to your updates

ImperialBlade likes this.

3. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Looks like you did good....
    Great pistol, I have one..

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    How is the thumb safety?

Mine was very stiff, and took forever to break in.

EDIT: The pistol has been pretty amazing otherwise. It works with CMC and WC mags. It shoots everything I feed it. It has excellent accuracy. I'm really growing attached to.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  5. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    It has the proper "snick", on and off

6. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    I remember when I first received my Les Baer UTC. I sat in front of the TV working the thumb safety on & off for several hours. It was very stiff when new. She now sports the classic “snick” when placed on or off. Love me some Baer’s! Congratulations El Perdido, on your Baer!

ImperialBlade, WC145 and gps man like this.
  7. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Congrats on the Baer my friend. Enjoy it and make it your own...

8. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I don't own a Baer. But I wish I did. Congrats, shoot the snot out of it

9. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Congrats on the new Baer. You're going to really like it!

10. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    You could be talking about mine!!!

11. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    Yeah, I like the other two that I have

12. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Congratulations buddy. My new last year CC is far and away the nicest Baer I've owned. Not a large sampling. Shows more fitting of parts and very tight without beating itself to death. I replaced the ambi and grips and use a grieder solid medium trigger as on my others. Never an issue, 100% reliability. Leaves me with a smile. Hope yours is the same

41 Charlie likes this.
  13. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    What did you replace your ambi thumb safety with? I'm itching to replace the one on my CC.

14. Regalsc

Regalsc Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Nice Baer you have there. I have a Concept V with no FCS that runs real smooth. I thought that Baer 5” guns came with a 18.5 lb variable which is why I ordered one for replacement when it’s time. So a 16 lb is adequate?

15. El Perdido

Oct 3, 2011
    No problems in my Baers with 16lb recoil springs. I also fit a Harrison small radius firing pin stop to all my 1911's. Works like a champ.

16. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Initially I used a Novak, I had it already and it worked well. It always does, I've sed it a lot. But a guy brought in an old Baer to install ambi safety on and he gave me his single sided. I tried to talk him out of doing that as its numbers to his pistol. No go. Fit men perfectly and the gluing looks perfect. Not so with the Novak. So I would say go to Baer web page.

17. Kmr54

Kmr54 Member

Jul 30, 2014

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted