1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone- Probably a very narrow pool of sources at this point, but to those of you with hands-on experience between the 2019 and 2020 models have you noticed a difference in the DLC finish? I just traded a 2019 for a 2020 yesterday (I prefer some minor aesthetics of the new one and it was a deal I couldn’t pass up) and the updated one looks and feels more matte. Just curious if this is just due to variations between pieces or if there has been an actual change.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
STI has recently started doing their own in house DLC application. They have intentionally gone to a more matte finish according to @Buck P their MIL/LE sales rep.

BTW, the capital investment in the DLC process equipment necessary to handle the volume they’ll need is quite significant. From what I hear 7 figures. Quite an investment but now you are in total control of the process, chemical makeup and quality control.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STI has recently started doing their own in house DLC application. They have intentionally gone to a more matte finish according to @Buck P their MIL/LE sales rep.

BTW, the capital investment in the DLC process equipment necessary to handle the volume they’ll need is quite significant. From what I hear 7 figures. Quite an investment but now you are in total control of the process, chemical makeup and quality control.
I think I recall someone in CS telling me something similar about it coming in house. Not surprised a DLC process would be so expensive- Pretty near impossible to find someone to do it for you individually so I always assumed it’s cost prohibitive without some major scaling.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
There’s a a bunch of places local to me. I found one that will do firearms and small parts for a very reasonable price. I just haven’t has a chance to get a gun to them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is more of a matte finish due to a plasma base and higher temp used over previous dlc, which had a shinier appearance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is more of a matte finish due to a plasma base and higher temp used over previous dlc, which had a shinier appearance.
Thanks for the info. Any knowledge of what this does in terms of durability, if anything? I’m curious because A- I love the durability of DLC, and B- I’ve already found a couple of very small and slight blemishes happen to it. Not sure from what but they don’t wipe off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts