1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forum members,

If you don’t feel like reading this review, to summarize....ITS OKAY TO BUY THE NEW PYTHON. IT’S GREAT GUN AND THANK YOU COLT FOR FINALLY BRINGING IT BACK!!!!

2020 COLT PYTHON

First week in January of 2020 I went to gun store to buy ammo and started making conversation about the new release of the Colt Python with people at the store. The gun dealer told me his distributor promised to deliver him two 6” Pythons and if I put a $500 deposit down I’d be on wait list for the 2nd one as he already had a deposit for the first. Without hesitation I plopped my card down and made a deposit. I expected it to arrive in several months, probably by the summer. Within one week of my deposit I received a call from gun shop to come by and pickup my new Python! I was super excited even though it was not in my budget to pay it off right then. I paid MSRP and have the new 2020 Python and really happy to own it. I even bought a set of vintage Colt Python grips to complete the look and feel of the original.

I’ve now put well over 1,000 rounds through it and feel I have enough time with it to tell consumers thinking of buying it what the average joe thinks. I’m not an expert, so this report comes from a guy who just loves to shoot and own firearms. There are many on this group who I’m sure can speak in better technical terms about it...Having said that, I’ll do my best to describe my experience with a complete lack of proper terminology...so go easy on me as I try:

OVER ALL FEEL 1979 v 2020

I really love my 79’ but I’ve always babied it because I paid a lot for it and because it’s in such great shape I’d hate to scratch it. I bought my 79’ around 2012 I think (during the Walking Dead craze) so I paid a good chunk of change although not as much as what they go for now. The 20’ Python balance, weight and feel is exactly the same to my 79’, especially if you slap a set of vintage grips on them. I think, however, the 20’ may be about an ounce heavier than my 79’ but not enough to notice a difference. Because the steel is different material than my 79’ the 20’ tends to get hotter after a lot of continuous rounds. So, It can be a little annoying for what it’s worth.

TRIGGER 1979 v 2020

The only real difference is in the trigger and although it’s different it still retains the essence of the Python trigger feel...if that makes sense. In short, I think the 20’ double action pull is better than the 79’. The double action is smooth, not quite as “buttery” like the 79’, but smooth in that the pull is consistent all the way to the break whereas the double action pull on my 79’ is “buttery” but gets tighter as you continue pulling back towards the end (stacks). The single action, however, is better on my 79’... but not by a lot. I think part of the reason why I like the single action better is because the hammer is longer and has more material to grab onto with your thumb, the tread surface is better to the touch than the serrations of the 20’. The trigger return on my 20’ is more responsive. It bounces back quicker than the 79’ which ultimately helps in rapid fire. Overall, Although the trigger isn’t exactly like my 79’ it does seem durable and in some ways improved.

ACCURACY

I shot my 79’ next to my 20’ at paper targets to compare groups. In short, they both shoot great but I was able to achieve tighter groups with my new Python over my 79’...no BS. I’m more accurate with my 20’...don’t know why...it is what it is.

NEGATIVES

Light primer strikes

To be completely transparent, I will encounter an occasional light primer strike. I’d say it occurs one or two times out of a box of 50 rounds. So far all I’ve used 357 Fiocchi and Águila 38 special because I have a lot of it. It’s happened to both brands of ammunition so I don’t think it’s an ammo brand issue. When a light primer strike occurs I simply put the bullet aside and load it into my lever action and it fires. At home I did open the cylinder of both the 79’ and my 20’ and noticed the firing pin on my 79’ protrudes all the way out whereas my 20’ does not come all the way out. If I push the transfer bar with my finger I can get the firing pin to come out all the way. I think it has something to do with the new transfer bar system. The hammer simply does not hit the transfer bar with enough energy and it may just be the way the hammer makes contact with the transfer bar.

1979 firing pin protrudes further out

2020 firing pin does not protrude out as far

Cylinder Rotation

There’s been a lot of bashing going around on the internet about this issue, most notably Hickok45's video and Golden Web, and I can only speak to my gun. After about 200 rounds through it started to lock up and the cylinder stopped turning. I thought to myself, oh no, I got a lemon too!!!!...but after careful inspection I discovered the problem with my gun was due to a loose side plate. Basically the internals are held in by the side plate and when it rattles loose it can cause the internals to get a little wonky. It’s hard to detect because it looked like it was sitting flush but after removing my grips, I noticed the back screw underneath the grip was backed out causing the side plate to vibrate loose. The side plate probably moves while shooting the gun which affects the internals. In my case, the side plate lifted up slightly causing my cylinder latch to move forward exposing a little plastic sleeve behind it. If the latch moves out of place i believe it somehow causes the hand to become misaligned with the star on the cylinder because the hand rests directly behind the latch/side plate. I'M NOT A GUNSMITH but since I’ve torqued down both of the side plate screws (front and back) with a little blue lock tight I’m 100% certain I resolved the problem because I’ve been shooting it hard ever since, well over 1,000+ rounds now, and have not experienced cylinder rotation issues to date.

Cylinder Latch vibrates forward due to a loose side plate. Tighten your side plates, especially back screw behind the grips!!!!

Customer Service

After I initially began experiencing these issues I called Colts customer service multiple times and after two or three days I finally got through. A guy named Steven Potvin gave me an RMA label and asked me to ship it to them and TAT would take approximately 4 to 6 weeks. He doesn’t speak much to the issues but instead takes down your complaints and emails you a shipping label. After resolving my side plate issue I’ve opted to keep my gun and keep shooting it until things settle down over there because there’s no telling how long I’d be without it and the light primer strike issue is so intermittent and infrequent that I don’t have the desire to part with it for the time being. I believe Steven Potvin is the ONLY guy dealing in customer service which is disappointing for a major gun manufacturer.

OVERALL

Despite the negatives I think it’s a great gun and I have no regrets buying it. I’m enjoying it and continue to shoot it. I finally have Rick Grimes gun, It’s dirty as hell right now and can’t wait to shoot it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Great Write up. I’m currently at 318 rounds through mine, with 150 rnds 357 and 168 rnds 38. Zero issues. I take it out every Monday, so 3-4 boxes of 50 and the round count will be going up.

I agree with everything you have said regarding trigger. Only one screw loose on mine, it was the one that holds the front site on.

Hogue cap grips installed. I love this hogleg.

79B45FCC-2E47-46A1-BB6C-67F6C4B94071.jpeg

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’m lusting after a king cobra carry, but I’m balking at the rumors of ejector rods getting stuck and coming off and the cylinder not rotating occasionally

·
"BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore !
1,729 Posts
I have a older python and waiting on a 2020 to arrive !!!!

Thanks for the write up ...

I've watched a few videos with the same issues you explained in your experience...
Hopefully it's a case of " getting the bugs out" even though you'd think that should of happened before release to the public ..
Best of luck with yours and Happy Shootin !!!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
First to the OP thanks for the review, my opinion and I do mean just my opinion is ,Colt had a lot riding on the release of the new Python. For a revolver in that price range there should be zero issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First to the OP thanks for the review, my opinion and I do mean just my opinion is ,Colt had a lot riding on the release of the new Python. For a revolver in that price range there should be zero issues.
Your opinion is valid and I agree....there should be “zero issues”. Having said that, I’m extremely grateful that the Python is back and I know I’m not alone in saying this. I am of the opinion that the positives far outweigh the negatives though and as the Python continues to roll out in bigger numbers these problems will be fixed....it’s all very fixable.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Your opinion is valid and I agree....there should be “zero issues”. Having said that, I’m extremely grateful that the Python is back and I know I’m not alone in saying this. I am of the opinion that the positives far outweigh the negatives though and as the Python continues to roll out in bigger numbers these problems will be fixed....it’s all very fixable.

I agree. I’m so glad it’s back. It’s one of my most prized handguns, and currently the least expensive I own as I sold my plastic HKs and only have 1911s.

I actually hope to see a “Python Elite” variant to go after the high end Korth market. I’d love a snub version too.

·
just one more
656 Posts
thanks for taking the time to write it up. I'm looking forward to someday adding a model python to go with my vitntage but not willing to pain the currently inflated prices. Hope things will settle down both price and quality wise, but time will tell.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Terrific review.I want to make a Christmas gift of one. The light primer thing must be giving the Colt engineer's fits. Maybe I'll wait until later in the year in hope of a mod.
I wonder if our gunsmiths could slick them a bit? Too bad they don't have a 4" .

·
Banned
393 Posts
Great info, thanks for the write up, and yes, I had heard about that. Kind of sad really, I like Colt. I'm just gonna keep my SW 586 never had one issue, smooth as butter, and never misses. Thx again for the info.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
My Original 6" was my dads 1957 if I remember correctly.
Gonna have to find a shop that has one so I can paw it and then BUY it LOL.
Thanks for the review

1 - 20 of 50 Posts