1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know where I can get a replacement? I'll give STI a call if I can't find one myself, but thus far I haven't had any luck in my own searches for parts online.
I put an STI short trigger in my pistol, and noticed upon disassembly the top most pin of the mainspring housing has appeared to split the pinhole from the edge of the hole to the edge of the housing. Assuming it probably cracked on factory assembly when the pin was driven through? It's held together over 1000 rounds since I noticed it, but if I every need to replace springs and drive that pin out.... Well I'm a Marine and will without a doubt finish the job and break it the rest of the way.

I may end up just getting an Extreme Shooters grip and be done with it - an od green costa treebark has been pestering my brain to buy for a while. Regardless, if I can simply replace the polymer housing on the original grip I'd like to do that.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
A. Good luck finding an OD green STI grip. They stopped making colored grips about 4’ish years ago (except for the tans for the Costa’s).

B. You can send your grip in to Extreme Shooters to have it worked over for 1/2 the price of a new grip.

C. Call STI. I’d put money on them sending you a new one for free.

D. IF you REALLY want an OD green grip I have one that Jason from Extreme worked over. It has the DVC texture on it. I’ve been saving it for a project that NightHawk is working on for me. It would not be cheap though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'll probably just give them a call. Those types of parts don't seem to be out there in retail. As far as the replacement grip, this is what I've been looking at. (see pictures) Just need a gen one mag release, which is an option to add.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Gotcha. Those are painted grips, not color through like STI’s originals. Good looking, it would drive me crazy if the paint started wearing or scratching off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotcha. Those are painted grips, not color through like STI’s originals. Good looking, it would drive me crazy if the paint started wearing or scratching off.
Just to follow up. STI had a new housing to me in 48 hours after contacting.

Ended up getting the Extreme Shooters gen one od green treebark anyway. Heard such good things about ES, had to see for myself. Took a bit of patient fitting, but end product looks great and feels very nice. Short fingers appreciate the slightly smaller circumference. It's painted, but seems very durable. Had to sand down above the trigger guard and that finish definitely does not chip, peel, or scratch easily.

Thanks again for the advice

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
That setup looks pretty sharp. I’m sure you’ll love your ES grip. I have about 20 or so of them. They’re one of the only upgrades an STI needs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. That's a lot of grips! Can't think of anything else the gun could need, though as an experiment I'd like to try a flat aluminum trigger at some point. I don't know if any added weight would remove that very positive tactile reset I have with the plastic sti trigger though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts