22 Conversions for 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Badabing11, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I've been doing a lot more shooting of 22 lately .

So tonight I had a moment where my chocolate met my peanut butter and realizeed how great it would be to have a 1911 in 22 cal.

The first thing that popped in my head was the GSG spray painted models with the plastic sights. They are very inexpensive, and fun to shoot so I'm told.

Next in mind came the Browning 1911 in 22. They almost got it right with the little Browning, However they spend a lot of time trying to convince us that 85% of the size is the best... because of what amounts to focus group testing.. Sorry Browning, size matters on a 1911, and scaling it down might make it nicer for my wife or kid, but not for me. I want it to feel like a 1911, not a mini 1911.

Then it occurred to me that there are some very good 22 conversion kits for 1911's. I think that would be my best bet. However I am not sure of several things that I know fellow addicts could help with:

1) I have stumbled around youtube a bit. It seems the Nelson unit is highly regarded. Are there others out there that perform as well for less cost?

2) Are there conversion units that you think work better than the Nelson?

3) Being that the frame of one of my 1911's will be the foundation, is there any downside to the conversion kit?

4) Are these conversions simply drop in? Or, do they require fitting?

5) If a conversion kit is used for a long period of time, will it wear my frame rails unevenly so that when I use my 45 slide, the fit is not as good as it is now?

I know thats a lot of questions. Please help me sort this out Addicts!

Thanks,

Jeff

isialk, Kip and joe45 like this.
  2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    In for the info#

Badabing11 and Kip like this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    That GSG or Sig (Which GSG made for them BTW) Is pretty impressive for the money. Then none of those other possible issues are issues at all. The good thing is I've seen those GSG's for as little as $175.00 I believe the cost of a cheap conversion will run more than that. And possibly double that for a good one. I could be wrong as I have never bought one. But, what impressed me most about the GSG was the true to likeness, size, weight, everything pretty much the same as a standard 1911. And you could put new parts in it as well If you wanted to.. It did like the high velocity .22 when it was dirty, but if kept clean it would even run the cheap stuff fairly well. But, don't waste time with the extended magazine pads, they only caused more problems then they were worth to gain 2-5 extra rounds.. Usually never ran right with those installed.

Just my .02 cents which is really worth a half a penny lol ;) Good Luck Jeff I'm sure you'll get what your looking for..

4. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Gsg 1911 22lr rocks you will need a guide rod and firing pin if you shoot much they will break . l put 8000 rounds thru mine this summer and it has about 13,000 rounds total . new to me is a kimber conversion still not sure if ill run it on a frame i have or get a frame only and build a bottom end hope it runs like my gsg. What sucks is kimber mag wont engage slide stop but the gsg mags work with the kimber ceniar l beleive thats how its spelled is supposed to be a good one.

Badabing11 and Steve Owens like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I did forget about the guide rod, they are plastic initially, never broke a Firing pin, but didn't see 8000 rounds through mine, maybe 4000 lol..

fallenangelhim, FWoo45 and Badabing11 like this.
  6. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Most conversion kits are aluminum so the should not wear a steel frame. But i just got a kimber and already want a dedicated frame for it.

Badabing11 likes this.
  7. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    It breaks on back end of square cut out for 80 series saftey

FWoo45, Badabing11 and Steve Owens like this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    https://www.cwaccessories.com/

This was one of the first places to start making and selling upgrades for the GSG and I ended up getting a lot of good stuff here. Some functional upgrades, some not useful. But, that's been 5 years ago or more, I am sure they have begun to perfect the parts that were not as reliable as others. Back then they were the only game in town for upgrade parts, but I see now a few others has jumped on the bandwagon..

9. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Man ive been on a 22lr kick lately just got tired of loading 5-6 hundred rounds of 9mm 45acp every week i ordered 10,000 rounds of 22 bulk remington thunder bolts earlier this year. Almost time to reorder!

Badabing11 likes this.
  10. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I need an Integrity arms for a Gsg:o.o:.

I saw a post on another forum where a guy had to hand lap the slide and frame for a Tactical Solutions conversion.

something about lapping the frame of my “A” gun to fit a plan “B” conversion kit don’t feel right. It prolly ain’t much, but my 1911s cost too much to lap the frames for a different upper.

GSG is sounding better unless there is a true “drop in” conversion kit.

I see Tandemkross has accurizing kits for them that include new guide rods .

Steve, are the triggers any good on those Gsg?

FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.
  11. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    I hear ya. Last summer, I got going with the Plinkers at the club. What started out as an hour planned to shoot 22 and some 45, turned into 15 min of 45acp, and six hours of 22.

I’m hooked.

22 Rifles are just as crazy addictive.

FWoo45 likes this.
  12. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I shoot a Marvel Unit 1 in bullseye competition, it's the 2nd Marvel I have experience with. This one is extremely accurate and reliable. The upper was fit to a lower built by my gunsmith, Joe C. The conversion is the all steel model, it's heavy but feels incredible shooting it. I'd highly recommend Marvel rather than Nelson.
    I do know some frames cause issues with conversions, it's best to find a reputable gunsmith. For myself I solely use Joe C after quickly exhausting the talents of several other gunsmiths. My conversion is on a dedicated lower, only because I refuse to share frames with other target guns.

13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017

Badabing11 likes this.
  14. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    For the entry price and frame parts compatibly you cant beat the gsg. There is enough after market support for the rest and ATI customer service is good sent me free firing pin i made my own guide rod on my uncles lathe.

FWoo45 and Badabing11 like this.
  15. Expendable

Expendable New Member

Nov 5, 2019
    I have a Nelson and it has been great.

I’ve had it on a Les Baer, Kimber and Colt lower and all worked well once I lowered the mainspring to #19.

like Steve i use it for Bullseye and only shoot standard velocity, with high velocity changing the mainspring might not be needed.

Badabing11 likes this.
  16. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
  17. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    There is a extra metal rail in lug area on gsg frame if i find out if i mill it off the kimber kit will work i might use one of there frames for it suppsedly there a zinc casting and parkerized. Ive read good things about the marvel kit but it is probably top dollar option .

Badabing11 likes this.
  18. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I have the Wilson Combat one and it runs well, although I probably only have a few hundred rounds through it

simonp and Badabing11 like this.
  19. Badabing11

Sep 6, 2015
    Well, if you consider the difference in cost between a Gsg and the conversion kits , the conversion kits are only a couple hundred or so more. That’s not a lot of change in addictland ;)

I like the idea of having a gun feeling like one of my nicer 45s. Same trigger, same grip, same heft.

But I know I would not remove metal from any one of my frames to get the conversion kit to fit. At that point I’d get a dedicated frame . That is probably something I could get from integrity arms :)

FWoo45 likes this.
  20. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    No it would be my old gsg frame and that little rail is for barrel alignment not strength. New gsg about 225$ kimber conversion 289$ i would have my old gsg upper for parts for the new one and the frame is zinc the alternative wheelweight material witch is pretty heavy almost like a real 1911 . some guys dont shoot as much in a year as i shoot in a weekend and my gsg always goes to range with me and i highly recommend it the only real difference is recoil compared to a full size 1911. There is a grub screw that keeps barrel tight that will shoot loose and accuracy falls off so keep an eye on it if you get to shooting hard!!!

FWoo45 and Badabing11 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted