.22 LR For Extended Practice?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by I Love Guns, Nov 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. I Love Guns

I Love Guns Active Member

Oct 24, 2019
    OK, mindful that this will go over like a fart in church, I'm wondering what the cognoscenti might think of utilizing a .22LR auto for extended practice sessions. Several hundred affordable trigger pulls per session versus 50 or 100? I know I can shoot .38 Special all day in my 6" Python, but after a box or two of .357 Magnum, it's not effective practice. Any benefit to practicing with a .22?

And for those who say there is or may be, what would you shoot besides an Aurthur Ciener-type retrofit kit? It needn't be a 1911 clone, and it needn't even have an identical grip angle. I'm thinking only of what would be generally true to instinctive point of aim. I have a 2nd Gen Colt Woodsman, and am aware that High Standard and Ruger (and Nambu and Luger, ad astra) have highly similar grip rake angles and they're all more acute than the 1911 family's.

Thanks.

Mike A likes this.
  2. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    Good practice is good practice. I did a lot of shooting with my 22 when I didn't have good access to other guns for a while. It helped me to develop good shooting principles. It won't take the place of shooting your larger caliber guns but it will go a long way towards being better with all handguns.
    Welcome to the forum.

limbkiller, Mike A, FWoo45 and 7 others like this.

3. cliff58

cliff58 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2019
    I think its a great idea-so much so that I just bought this rimfire kit for my 9mm Shadow 2,way cheaper to practice with and really accurate. WlFjqRe.jpg 7NxnbeO.jpg adDlpPf.jpg

Mike A, FWoo45, Roehl and 3 others like this.
  4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Depends on your shooting goals.

If faster splits are your goal 22LR isn't going to help with recoil control. If slow fire bullseyes are your goal it will help.

FWoo45, Karsten and BigJimP like this.
  5. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Just be careful. 22s are addictive too!

heck yes it’s good practice

Mike A, cgff, Otherside and 2 others like this.
  6. I Love Guns

Oct 24, 2019
    Neither. I just want confidence that the projectile will impact the necessary target in a short-to-medium range defensive situation with the greatest probability (and not needlessly drain my bank account). Practice makes perfect. 50 rounds isn't enough practice, IMO.

7. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Then I would suggest reloading and using a similar bullet that you chose for defense purposes. Splits = follow up shots.

FWoo45 and BigJimP like this.
  8. I Love Guns

Oct 24, 2019
    Umm, thanks for the welcome. I hope you don't judge by the numerosity of my posts. I may be a newb here, but I've been around the block.

Badabing11 likes this.
  9. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Hope this isn't a hijack, OP, but if one were to want to shoot a 1911 style for this practice, is the Nelson converson the way to go?

Mike A and Oldgunner like this.
  10. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I think it helps. And it’s just darn fun. I have numerous 22 pistols and love to shoot them. Plus, any time I take new shooters out, I always bring a 22.

11. I Love Guns

Oct 24, 2019
    No hijack at all, this is useful information. Thanks.

You know, I'd probably go for something like this (Is Ciener still in biz?), but for the can-o-worms effect. I carry an Officers with certain specialty sights. Do I pay $$$ to replicate and regulate that AND buy a >$500 interchangeable slide/mag/etc., or do I find a separate $500 .22 that gets me where I want to go?

Kip likes this.
  12. I Love Guns

Oct 24, 2019
    OK, I'm not going down the HRT/IPSC/Tactical rabbit hole. I've reloaded before--kept notebooks of loads, tumblers, media, scales, pullers, gauges, ad nauseam, and may still have Red Dot in quantities that would attract suspicion. I just want to practice and still have a life.

Mike A, Badabing11, Kip and 1 other person like this.
  13. il duce

il duce Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2015
    My wife bought the GSG 1911 for practice and that gun was darn fun to shoot. Probably had 15k rounds through it and not one hiccup.

limbkiller, bluelund79, Roehl and 4 others like this.
  14. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    A Nelson .22 conversion on a dedicated Fusion receiver and you're golden.

Install either the target sight rib or the Weaver and install a Red Dot!

Same feel as your favorite 1911 and deadly accurate for Gallery Bulls-eye competition!

Once you get started with accuracy .22's you will open up another branch of collecting both semi-auto and revolvers.

Smiles,

Badabing11 likes this.
  15. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I couldn’t agree more.

16. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    No judgement from me. I shot the barrel out on my Ruger Mk2, that took effort. I feel that it made me better with my handgun skills though.

Johniv, FWoo45, Badabing11 and 2 others like this.
  17. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Anyone ever tried a conversion unit from tactical solutions? They look nice and their 10/22 stuff is on point but no experience with the conversion unit.

18. Mgordon

Mgordon New Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Practice is practice. My Colt Ace makes it on every range trip. One of my favorite guns to shoot.

Otherside and Kip like this.
  19. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I always thought @rmac's observation that careful precision shooting with a .22 LR double action revolver provides you with excellent training in trigger control not available elsewhere for the same cost & lessons learned per shot was spot on wisdom.

FWoo45, cliff58, Badabing11 and 5 others like this.
  20. I Love Guns

Oct 24, 2019
    Bingo. How many bricks of Stingers do these pistols go for?

Thanks, I learned something!

Badabing11 and Kip like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted