1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow addicts: For a while I have been interested in a semi-auto pistol in .22 WMR caliber. Have not owned a .22 Magnum handgun for probably 45 years. Those were single action revolvers. Looking at the market, the one that peaks my interest most is the long discontinued AMT Automag II. One of my best friends is a gunsmith and he hates them. Said they are junk. Another friend has one of the shorty compact models and loves it. I am interested in the 6" model only. Watched a YouTube video on one today, the mid-length barrel, and I was not impressed with the group size he was getting on a 15 yard bench rest. Also was not impressed with the stoppages. Apparently they are ammo sensitive. Looked at a Rock Island at the local shop. Too heavy and only a 5 inch barrel. Not interested the the Kel-Tec. Do any of you have any experience owning and shooting one of these AMTs? If so, please share your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Always thought the Automags were nice looking firearms. Interested to hear from fellow addicts.
I personally have the Keltec PMR30 and it has been very reliable and a blast to shoot. Also have a Ruger LCR in 22mag. I wanted an Armscor 22mag 1911(ish) but haven’t seen one in person to know if I would like it.
Pics included, just because Addicts like pictures.
8629006F-0776-49FC-BA0E-C5AA91E3E2FB.jpeg
2B3B2D4B-24AF-48D7-87E2-38618F82E19F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I never owned the AMT in .22WMR but I did own the AutoMags in .30Carbine and .45WinMag years ago. I don't recall having any issues with either and both were a blast to shoot (pun intended). I have read it is a crapshoot on the AMT AutoMags; some were good to go and others had issues.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I’ve only seen one 22 automag. It’s my friends fathers. Been collecting dust for over 20 years. He said it was the worst POS ever. Been to several smiths and still won’t run. He won’t sell it because he doesn’t want to burden anyone else with it.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve only seen one 22 automag. It’s my friends fathers. Been collecting dust for over 20 years. He said it was the worst POS ever. Been to several smiths and still won’t run. He won’t sell it because he doesn’t want to burden anyone else with it.
Has he tried different brands of ammo in it?

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I haven't even heard AMT mentioned in years let a lone seen anything available for sale recently.

I believe the Keltec PMR-30 is about he only SA .22 Mag offered these days. I also recall seeing one listed here in the Classified with the Carbine Conversion a couple days ago.

Karsten

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't even heard AMT mentioned in years let a lone seen anything available for sale recently.

I believe the Keltec PMR-30 is about he only SA .22 Mag offered these days. I also recall seeing one listed here in the Classified with the Carbine Conversion a couple days ago.

Karsten
There are numerous AMTs on Gunbroker all the time. AMT must have made a whole lot of them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had the AMT in the 90's and it was ammo sensitive, sold it due to divorce. I would get another if I found one

·
Deo Volente
7,128 Posts
Bobby Tyler MAY be doing a run of customized Single Six convertible revolvers in the next year. CCH frames and deluxe bluing with target sights, If you are a Ruger fan then you will know these are rare. @tylergunworks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
One of my shooting buddies has a few semi-auto 22 magnums. He actually shoots one in each hand; rapid fire—just like a cowboy! Sorry that I don’t recall the brand. (I’ll find out.)

The shooting experience was cool; super-cheep ammo, satisfying kick and sound. It was pretty hard hitting on a heavy steel gong at about 18 yards.

Fun, satisfying & cheep.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts