.223 Reloading

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Blayglock, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Anyone here load large volumes of .223? Im think a Lee Turret press but not sure. I already have a Lee single stage and I reload pistol on a Dillon SDB so no go for rifle. Also how much are you relaoding for?

2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Dude, get a Dillon 550B for the .223. You won't regret that. GO BLUE OR GO HOME!

3. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I just loaded up 1500 rounds on my 550B. Also used a Dillon sizer trimmer on all 1500. Too big a job for me.
    Got arthritic hands, Sent my Dillon electric trimmer and all my 223 equipment to my brother and his son-in-law.
    We are going to let the kid do all the reloading for the AR's from now on.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  4. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    +1 on the blue press.

5. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    WORD! Dad & I have knocked out thousands in an afternoon! I reload .45,.308 & .223 with my 550

6. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    So what does your actual procedure look like with that 550?

I already have one Dillon so you don't have to convince me how awesome they are.

7. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Which Dillon do you have?

8. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
  9. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I load .223. .308, .45, .44mag, .357mag. ,400 cor-bon. 40SW and the round that I think is too much work for the little bit of cost savings is the .223.
    I load them for about .25/round with used brass. If I can buy them in bulk for .30/round i'm usually in.
    I also use a Dillon RL550B
    Kenny...

10. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I load my rifle ammo on a single stage LNL press and my pistol ammo on a LNL-AP.

I don't really load .223 in "bulk". Only about a 1000 rounds per year. But I buy my components in bulk when I need them or when I have extra cash and they're on sale. I'm loading 77gr SMKs, LC brass, WSR primers, and Varget for 41 cents per round. Loading match ammo saves a good chunk of change. Last I bothered looking at factory match ammo, it start at 75 cents per round and went north from there.

11. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Okay so Ive done some shopping and buying in bulk I can reload .223 for about $0.16 per round for 55gr training ammo. If I buy loaded ammo in bulk and sell the brass I can do it for $0.24 per round and not have to invest in a any additional equipment for volume loading or the extra time. I think for next year I am going to plan on just buying bulk and maybe reloading about 1K match grade since I have the components already.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted