22LR Conversion Kit???? Anyone, anyone? Bueller.. Bueller??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by TheCollector, Feb 3, 2019.

1. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm curious if anyone here has tried these conversion kits and what you think.
    22lr.jpg

john_anch_ak and Jollyroger1 like this.
  2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    I picked up the full size conversion kit from a friend. Didn’t expect much but it runs flawlessly and is a blast.

Only have maybe 100 rounds thru the .22 conversion. Don’t use it much. Next time I use it will probably be with my son - to teach him how to shoot a 1911.

There’s probably better conversions out there but haven’t had any issues with mine from Kimber.

TheCollector and Don_P like this.

3. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
  4. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I owned a Kimber conversion for several years and mounted it on both full-sized and Commander-sized pistols. It worked fine with both SV and HV ,22 ammo, but it isn't a precision instrument. I replaced it with a Nelson conversion kit that produces bullseye competition accuracy. You'll see quite a few bullseye shooters using them on the line at Camp Perry and other matches. That said, the Kimber is OK for casual shooting and costs less than half of a Nelson conversion. If you want cheap practice with your 1911 and you're happy shooting at 15 yds or less, the Kimber may be the way to go.

TheCollector, Don_P and Jollyroger1 like this.
  5. Caeserslegion

Caeserslegion Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I have a full sized kit, and have probably 1000 or so rounds through it. Mine works great, I mainly use it to increase my shot to shot speed.....cheap, no recoil. The two quirks with my setup, you must use high power ammo, and it doesn’t lock back on the last round. And like most .22’s, it gets dirty fast. I think I paid around 250.00 for mine. If you get one, buy 4-5 extra magazines, since those 10 rounds disappear fast!

TheCollector, Don_P and Jollyroger1 like this.
  6. Oldgunner

Mar 30, 2018
    Like the S&W Model 41, the barrel is fixed in .22 conversions and only the light weight slide moves when a shot is fired. If you grip the pistol the way you would normally grip a 1911 in .45 ACP or other CF caliber, you may be applying too much pressure to the slide with one or both thumbs. That can cause problems with both loading a round (failure to go into battery) or failure to lock back on an empty magazine.

7. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Lol, how do you say they are great while you are trying to sell two of your own?

I have a Kimber conversion and an Advantage Arms for a 5”. I like them both and with the right ammo they run fine. The Kimber is better made than the AA.

As was said they dirty up pretty fast which can affect the reliability. But that’s true of any .22. Both were fairly accurate, I used them primarily to shoot a 4” plate rack I made and 15 to 25 yards, no problem at all hitting that 4” steel.

I liked being able to practice with cheaper per round cost with guns that felt the same in my hand. I also think they are great for introducing kids and women to handguns if you don’t have any other smaller caliber handguns.

If you live in a state that makes you jump hoops and wait to buy a handgun they are good because you can buy over the counter or ship them from seller to buyer directly.

I’m trying to unload mine (no pun) because I’m tired of carrying extra cases to the range and then having to swap out slides. I also bought spare mainspring housings for both guns and installed lightweight springs to help cycling reliability. So I would have to swap out the MSH also. I’d much rather pull the gun out of the range bag, load and shoot.

Honestly, if you can afford a bit more money and would rather not have to deal with the hassle of swapping parts, I’d just buy a 1911 .22 caliber handgun. I enjoyed mine and I don’t think they were a waste of money, they just made me want a dedicated .22 semi-auto in 1911.

TheCollector, isialk and Busa Dave like this.
  8. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I have a Wilson one in the safe somewhere. I personally do not really care for them much. Used to shooting a model 41 and a custom Volquartsen Ruger I had done over 25 years ago. Point is they are not the most accurate way to shoot a .22 but to each his own.

TheCollector likes this.
  9. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Oldgunner, does your Nelson conversion run fine with SV ammo or does it prefer HV? I typically use CCI. Does it have an ammo preference? Plated vs lead? Thanks in advance! I have an ideal gun to put one of these on and don’t mind waiting on an order.

10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I have a Kimber Kit, a Wilson Combat kit ...and a kit for the Sig 226.

They all run fine ...if you keep them lubed properly ( and they all like to run on the "wet side"...). None of them lock back when the last round is fired in the gun....which is kind of aggravating...( vs something like a Browning Buckmark .22 ...where it does lock back ).

Accuracy on the kits is "Fair" ....and they all like to run on CCI Mini Mag ammo...which in my area is about $ 12 a box of 100 or $6 for 50 rds.../ none of them will run consistenly on cheap bulk .22 ammo.....( and my cost to reload 9mm with a good FMJ 115gr bullet is right around $6 to $6.50 for a 50 rd box...)...so you don't really save any money by shooting the conversion kits if you reload and buy components in case lots.

I have used them to train the grandkids....but they all like the Browning Buckmark better than any of the conversion kits ( I have a Buckmark tricked out with Tactical Solutions rail, barrel, etc...and a Red Dot on it ). Grandkids are getting older ( 12 to 25 now ..) ...and almost all of them are shooting 9mm now....got some younger ones and some great grandkids coming up on shooting ages pretty soon ....but in reality the conversion kits don't get shot hardly at all.

If I personally want to shoot . 22 for some reson .../ I will shoot the Browning Buckmark ...or one of my S&W revolvers ..a model 18 in a 4" or a model 617 in a 6 inch.....

TheCollector likes this.
  11. Oldgunner

Mar 30, 2018
    I use CCI standard velocity most of the time in my Nelson conversion without any problems. If you buy an accessory package (highly recommended) along with the conversion kit you will get additional recoil springs - 8, 9 and 10 lb. plus some other spare parts. The standard conversion kit includes the 8, 9 and 10 lb. springs but it doesn't hurt to have spares on hand. The Nelson conversion will tolerate some HV loads, including the CCI 1265 (?) fps HV rounds. I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of those unless you install the 10 lb. spring. Even then, Nelson doesn't recommend it. Mine prefers regular lead bullets, but I've only run a box or two of plated bullets. You can check all of this out at their website www.NelsonCustomGuns.com. I'd also say that Nelson has a very good reputation for customer service - especially with bullseye shooters.

dash likes this.
  12. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    9A8FF7A3-38DD-4A54-B327-EA1DABF59714.jpeg

Hmmm. I have a Nelson on a custom built Caspian frame put together by a bullseye gunsmith, John Vincent. It is easily the most reliable .22 pistol I have ever owned, as accurate as my 41 or VQ souped up Ruger Competition and a pure joy to shoot. I put over 1,500 rounds through it without any cleaning, just a little extra FP10 once in awhile. I did just field strip and gave it a good scrubbing. Just finished up a case of RWS Target Rifle I had laying around, but it also eats SK, Eley and CCI SV just as well. I used to want a fancy pants European .22 pistol, but not anymore. For the past year all I’ve shot is 1911s in 3 calibers and I’m really happy with this. Yes, I went all out for a 1911 .22, but it is a fantastic gun.
    Jeff

gaijin, Steve B, Busa Dave and 2 others like this.
  13. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Have the Nelson (dedicated frame) and an old Marvel #1 that are both tack drivers.
    Really like the Nelson for the ability to dryfire and accuracy equal to the old Marvel unit.

[​IMG]

JNW, dash and Oldgunner like this.
  14. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Yes I would expect a built .22 1911 that was assembled/hand fit for accuracy to perform because that is what you paid for. Glad it is working for you!

JNW likes this.
  15. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Here is a .22 conversion threaded for a suppressor, built by Joe Chambers. I don’t know if he is still offering these but would be worth hitting him up 824B3D1D-D71A-4B32-A2B8-0C54022AFAB9.jpeg

gaijin and TheCollector like this.
  16. jaydoc

Aug 10, 2012
    Note the adjustable rear sight

TheCollector likes this.
  17. Oldgunner

Mar 30, 2018
    This looks more like a original "Colt Ace" variation than a "conversion kit". However, I'm no expert in that arena.

18. jaydoc

Aug 10, 2012
    It’s mounted on the frame of my Ruger 1911 which is a .45 acp gun.
    Am I missing something in the semantics?

19. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Thanks for the follow-up info Oldgunner as well posts by @JNW and @gaijin. I put an order in with Nelson Custom for conversion unit, 3 extra magazines and a spare accessory package (as suggested). This is exactly what I’ve been looking for and it’ll be here in time for summer shooting. This will get me back into regular 22LR practice only now on a 1911 frame. I appreciate the thread @TheCollector.

JNW, Oldgunner and TheCollector like this.
  20. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    I've ran an Advantage Arms kit on my SR1911 for quite a while with no issues. They don't recommend Federal Ammo, but I've used several other high velocity brands with no issues. No dry fire, if that's important to you.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted