1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1911's & Glocks
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone interested, I did some testing with this bullet, to determine the minimum velocity at which it will fully open. My test medium is "poor man's jelly" that is, 6 zip lock bags filled with water the plastic jugs after that. The retained weight on all bullets was 229.?, essentially no weight loss except #3 which weighed 228.6. The bullets are numbered from left to right.

One the far left is bullet #1 launched at 577 fps. It did not open at all but penetrated into the water jugs, about 14" or so. (Exact penetration is not possible, sorry)

#2 from left was launched at 700 fps. It opened partially. Penetration was a bit better at 16 or so inches.

#3 was launched at 733 fps but it struck the wood on the bottom of the bench.

4th & 5th were also launched at 733 fps (735 #5) and both opened fully. Penetration was very close to 16 or 17".

#6 was launched at 843 fps and opened fully. Penetration was around 20".

#7 was launched at 950 fps and opened fully and penetrated around 26".

#8 at the top was a Sierra 185gr. HP launched at 1050 fps and penetrated barely over the the first 6 bags (about 13" total!) Retained weight was 183.1 gr

All rounds were loaded with WW231 although the only thing that counts is the velocity. Velocities were measured on a Pact Chrono.
Cheers,
crkckr
Of course, the problem now is getting the bullets! Come on Speer, let's get it together!
Wood Artifact Metal Jewellery Fashion accessory

· Registered
1911's & Glocks
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I enjoy doing things like this but wish I had a bigger budget to work with so I could get some serious test eauipment but it's out of my reach for now. I'd like some real pressure test equipment for one thing but even the glue on strips & meters can get pricey pretty fast. So I do what I can with what I have and that has to scratch the itch!
Cheers,
crkckr

· Registered
4,791 Posts
Appreciate the effort.

· Registered
1911's & Glocks
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is only one way to actually see what a bullet will do in human flesh and it's generally frowned upon! Probably the closest is 10% ordinace jello, which is a real pain to work with plus doesn't really show the wound track all that well. Clear ballistics gel is ok, at least it's got consistenty in it's favor and is much easier to work with than the 10% stuff.

However, I use water because I can afford it! According to who you believe water comes sorta, kinda close to 10% jello, although "close" is a fully loaded word in this case! No one can really define "close" in 10% gelatin, much less in water! So I go for as consistent (and cheap!) as possible using the zip lock bags & plastic water jugs. Actually, I liked the method Gun Sam used on u tube, placing a baloney pack in front of the milk jugs but even he has gone to the dark side and is using clear gel now.

Personally, I'm much too cheap to blow up baloney packs since it makes lousy sandwich's with all the holes in it! And I'm certainly not going to feed every **** and possum in Warren County (MO), which is exactly what would happen! I already feed most of the birds within a 5 mile radius of my house! I was letting the squirrels go at it as well but the number of the greedy little bast... umm, critters, grew very quickly so I started shooting them with my Red Ryder bb gun. They don't get hurt but certainly don't like it, so it slowed it down to just the local squirrels, anyway!
Keeps me off the streets, I suppose!
Cheers,
crkckr

· Registered
1911's & Glocks
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a Glock 21 (4.6") but the velocity of the bullet at launch is what counts. If you can get something around 750 fps or better out of whatever .45 you have, these bullets will work for you! I've always wondered about this minimum velocity thing, since I usually end up with a short barrel in whatever pistol I buy! Except my Glock 40, which has an aftermarket Lone Wolf 9" barrel! I'm going to do more testing with other bullets & calibers, assuming I can find them in stock somewhere!
Cheers,
crkckr

· Registered
4,426 Posts
I carry a 5" gun and I still believe the Short Barrel GD's are great. I think 800fps+- is pretty easy to shoot and being able to rely upon expansion and penetration is a huge plus. I haven't seen them on the shelves in a while, but I suppose it's also been a while since I looked.

Thanks for the report!

· Registered
1911's & Glocks
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Merton, I agree with you 100%. 3 of my 5 .45 ACP pistols have full sized barrels but I still use the SB bullets in them. I do usually load them up as fast as I can because I want them to have every chance of expanding! Gold Dots are not prone to coming apart like most cup & core bullets so at worst, the petals will fold back along the shank of the bullet and continue penetrating. I have fired 9mm 115 gr. Gold Dots out a .357 Mag at 1500 fps and the bullet lost 1 petal but the rest remained intact. I also swaged a 185 .45 cal. Gold Dot down to .429 and fired it out of a Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag., again at 1500 fps and that one did about the same, losing one complete petal while the rest penetrated to the rear of my back stop. Bonded bullets are pretty hard to beat when it comes to expansion and penetration. That is not saying they cannot be beaten, however!

My carry ammo, in all calibers, is Underwood's (or Lehigh's) loading of the Lehigh Xtreme Defense bullet. I have seen what these bullets do to flesh (in a pig) and I am convinced they are the absolute best bullet you can buy for home or self defense. The main downside is the cost! But then, what is your life worth? I'm getting 1396 fps out of a Glock 26 with the 90gr. +P+ ammo, which isn't too shabby! I don't remember the exact numbers out of my Glock 29 but out of the G40, they flat out scream! I can get the exact numbers if anyone is interested. It's good stuff, fer sure!
Cheers,
crkckr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts