230gr Round Nose vs. 200gr SWC

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Baldwin, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    In the two years that I've reloaded .45ACP, I've only used round nose bullets. I see that there are a lot of folks using 200gr SWC. Other than cost, what are the advantages is using the 200gr SWC bullet?

jimkahler likes this.
  2. Dave Shuford

Dave Shuford New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    200g SWC cuts a cleaner hole in the paper (easier for my old eyes to see at 25 yds). Also recoil is a bit milder than the 230g hardball load which is appreciated during long range sessions. Might be a bit more accurate, but both bullets are more accurate than I am. 200g SWC are often cheaper than 230g RN plated or jacketed.

simonp, gps man and boatdoc like this.

3. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Basically, as Dave said, lswc cuts a nice hole in paper. I load slot of 200g lswc never had an issue. It's my range, target ammo, so I load it light. I think you'll like them alot

boatdoc likes this.
  4. ReloaderDean

ReloaderDean New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    I use the Hi Tek coat 200 SWC from Missouri Bullet Company under 4.3 grains of W231. Very mild and accurate out of my SA Range Officer.

5. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I have been using WC L-SLC 185 gr becaus e of the softer recoil ( my hand is healing from surgery) once I get fully recovered, I will use 230 gr fmj(hardball). the other brands of 185 gr ammo I have tried seem to have a similar charge loaded(no other reloads all new ammo) so the recoil feels the same as 230 gr fmj

6. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    Thanks for the info. I'm considering them to reduce cost but my 65 year old hands/wrists would appreciate less recoil. I'm going to order a trial pack.

duketbrd88, gps man and boatdoc like this.
  7. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    for reduced recoil the Wilson combat reloads L swc are great. reliable and do not damage the barrel or line it with lead.price is not bad either

8. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    My 64 year old hands appreciate the difference in recoil.

I shoot lots of 200 grain SWC over 4.0 of Bullseye

9. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    I recommend seating the swc at .93" to the shoulder of the wadcutter. This works for me with all wadcutters regardless of weight ,165gr to 200 gr, and nose profile.

Mike Meints and rmac like this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    More accurate. Try Bulletworks.com
    Best 200 grain SWC I've seen in decades. It's basically the H&G 68 design, one we started using in IPSC in the 70s.

11. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well just a suggestion... When I loaded for my 45's I tried so many powder bullet combinations it would make your head hurt. Every week a new one even cast my own 200gr SWC's(quit when our daughter was born did not want the "smelter" going). The best bullet I found to load was a 185 SWC Remington Match. Big Green decided to discontinue it as a for sale component. Might try the Hornady as it shot great in several of my guns it was just more expensive than buying the big bulk box of the Remington 185 Match SWC's..

It might just recoil less as well if that is a concern.

12. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    Missouri Bullet's 200 gr SWC are H&G #68 clones. I have loaded and shot thousands. Finding a good COAL for the reliable feeding of the SWC make take a little more experimentation than RN. At least for me it did. Only load a few of the SWC at first to try.

13. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Couple of things you'll need to know:

If you're shooting a commercial Colt series 70 or 80, you'll need to have the feed ramp worked on. A lot of modern 1911s don't need this.

Seating length is also an issue with some pistols as well as magazines. A friend has a Kimber I had to seat the 200 grn SWC shorter than I normally do. As such I had to reduce the powder load. Same problem with his ParaOrd magazines. I was used to loading with an OAL of 1.255 to 1.260.

If helps to simply load a dummy (no primer or powder) and start with a normal seating length and see how they feed in you magazines and pistols (not knowing what you're shooting).

Be advised 231 is the most forgiving powder you can load these with. Back in the 70s we di the usual "Which powder is better" and 231 came in first with Bullseye second. 231 is far more forgiving for pressure issues. When I first started using a Star Press before I bought mine, I did double charge a round with 231 and it cost me a pair of grips and a magazine. Bullseye is not as forgiving and Titegroup is really bad.

funny since I'm close to your age, I've loading "light" rounds for practice, I still shoot better with the old IPSC "warm" power factor load. But it's rough on the hands and wrists.

Last note, cast 200 grain SWCs are less expensive, I don't know about the other source mentioned but Bulletworks sells in a lot of 1000 bullets. Keeps the cost down, even though it's more expensive than it was in the 70s! ;)

14. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I shot many thousands of H&G #68s on top of 5.7gr of 231 with an OAL of 1.260".
    Feeds as well as ball in a stock gun!

15. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Nope, not all stock 1911s. I started in loading them in 76. 5.7 of 231 is a bit much for someone looking for a lighter load due to age.

16. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I like SNS casting 200gr coated swc. No leading ans $112.50 per 1,000 delivered to your door. I've been using 4.5gr of Winchester wst. I've now switched to 4.8gr bullseye. The Wilson combat load. Shoots poa as 230gr ball ammo. Low recoil.

17. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    4.5 of Bullseye is low recoil?? Sorry but traditionally with a 200 grain SWC bullet (H&G68) 4.9 to 5.0 of Bullseye is the traditional hardball equivalent load. 4.5 is not going to be low recoil.

18. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    3.5 Bullseye is 600 to 650 fps depending on gun. crimp etc.
    4.0 bullseye will give about 700 fps
    4.5 should be 750ish
    5.0 should be 800 ( I get av 806)
    5.7 comes out as max in some manuals which is just over 900 fps.

700 fps is the accuracy sweet spot for Bullseye matches.

I have shot tens of thousands of lead 200 SWC. Maybe a few hundred 230.

Just for info, 5.0 Bullseye with 230 hardball is the standard 45 load. (830 to 850 fps)

Enjoy
    David

gps man likes this.
  19. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Thanks David, not really a Bullseye user, but it's a backup powder if I run out of 231.IN the 70s and 80s we were burning 2-3000 rounds a month, so I've loaded a few also.

However anything over 5.0 is pushing it depending on the barrel being used, especially if the barrel was ramped badly (yes I've seen it happen).

20. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    According to Wilson combat 4.8gr of bullseye is 840 fps. It shoots the same point of aim as standard 230gr factory bsll ammo.look at Wilson combat test targets.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted