1911 Firearm Addicts banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I found this Winchester XPR .270 with Vortex scope combo

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881657863

They have same gun in .243. So I’m still between the two calibers.

And this Savage 111XP .270 with a Nikon scope on it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884684705

I like the combos because I really don’t feel like guessing which rings or bases I need. Also this is just a first time maybe hunt with it a few times kinda thing. I don’t want to go crazy or make myself crazy frettin over rifles and which scope and all that. Nice factory combo for the kid. My gut tells me the Winchester may be better than the Savage by a bit but the Nikon may be better than a bottom line Vortex. Savage does has button rifled barrel.
Have I convinced you guys to convince me to go with the Savage yet? :)
Also not sure he’d like a FDE colored gun as the one he borrowed was black and he was really hoping for a camo gun cuz you know ‘that’ll kill more deer dad!’
Let me help you out!!! GO WITH THE SAVAGE!!!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
$599 for the Savage seems a bit steep, unless it has an accustock. I think I paid $450 for my TH XP. Have the prices been climbing up all along or is this the “2020 special” pricing?

Bud’s has one 270 Combo for around $500 but not with Nikon.

Did the rifle hunting season end in your state? If yes, might be worth checking a few local stores.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Pm sent
.243 great round many great rifles. another great round mild on recoil and report not as mainstream is a 6.5x55 Swede.
My original thought for a rifle model, but it could be a bit costly the Winchester model 70 featherweight.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,286 Posts
My father gave me his Sako Forester .243 when I was 15, and the first round I fired with it hit a beer can at 100 yards. I love this rifle, and even though it it not the most expensive one I have, it is the crown jewel.

I have found .243 to be an excellent cartridge, very accurate and light recoil.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
My father gave me his Sako Forester .243 when I was 15, and the first round I fired with it hit a beer can at 100 yards. I love this rifle, and even though it it not the most expensive one I have, it is the crown jewel.

I have found .243 to be an excellent cartridge, very accurate and light recoil.
I just picked up a Sako 85 Finnlight in .243 and mounted a Leupold 2-10x42 scope. I love it. It shoots offhand really well.

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So far the Savage/Nikon combo in .270 is in my mental lead. I have a PAST shoulder pad he can use till he grows into it. But he did mention also hunting rabbits on same property and said he saw some there.
For those that have .243s what’s the POI shift when and if you go from a 100~ grain deer load down to the smaller 50-60gr ones for yotes or rabbits? Curious if it’s a lot of a little?

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
$599 for the Savage seems a bit steep, unless it has an accustock. I think I paid $450 for my TH XP. Have the prices been climbing up all along or is this the “2020 special” pricing?

Bud’s has one 270 Combo for around $500 but not with Nikon.

Did the rifle hunting season end in your state? If yes, might be worth checking a few local stores.

That’s including a $200~ Nikon scope.

·
Super Moderator
13,412 Posts
Sierra makes a 85gr BTHP Gameking pill for it, that USED to be loaded by Federal.
It’s a Thor’s hammer on deer.
I’ve got an old tack driving 700 ADL in .243 and still have a couple of boxes of that stuff.
It’s pure magic on deer and recoils less than an AR-15, which means it basically doesn’t recoil. :)
Great caliber IMO.
I bet some Barnes TTSX loads would work great on deer out of a .243

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That’s including a $200~ Nikon scope.
Keep in mind my price reference is dated. The scope I have is not marked with any specific model so it is hard to tell the value. Further, I have no idea if they still use the same scope or a newer model/generation of it. Mine is nothing fancy but the glass is clear. If I had to complain about it, the eye relief window is not great on higher power.

To me, as you mention above, the real value was in having all of it mounted and ready to get sighted in.

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Keep in mind my price reference is dated. The scope I have is not marked with any specific model so it is hard to tell the value. Further, I have no idea if they still use the same scope or a newer model/generation of it. Mine is nothing fancy but the glass is clear. If I had to complain about it, the eye relief window is not great on higher power.

To me, as you mention above, the real value was in having all of it mounted and ready to get sighted in.
the Savage combos are advertised as being bore sighted already. That oughtta save a few rounds too.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Not sure if you give your boy internet access but maybe give him a bit of a budget and let him do some shopping/research? I memorized Cabella's catalogs back in the day and knew exactly what I wanted when I sold my 4H lambs. The hunt for the hunting rifle is half the fun.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So far the Savage/Nikon combo in .270 is in my mental lead. I have a PAST shoulder pad he can use till he grows into it. But he did mention also hunting rabbits on same property and said he saw some there.
For those that have .243s what’s the POI shift when and if you go from a 100~ grain deer load down to the smaller 50-60gr ones for yotes or rabbits? Curious if it’s a lot of a little?
3-4 inches at 100 or so; but there will likely be some horizontal shift, as well. I like 70/75/80 for coyotes, and don't consider 90 BTHP from sierra - in the 243 85-90 grain bullets buck wind and hit hard. I wouldn't hesitate to use 90s on antelope/deer <300 and get by with just one load does all - and know how it performs.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Savage Trophy Hunter combo with a cheapo Nikon 3-9x scope was the rifle I bought 5-6 years ago when invited on my first deer hunt. It is not as nice as Tikka but has a very smooth action and accu-trigger is pretty good, with plenty of accuracy for hunting in the woods. All I did to it a couple of years ago was upgrading the scope to a Monarch 2-10x.

Don’t know much about 243, I went with 30-06 and don’t regret it . I hear if one reloads, they can put together some nice mild loads in 30-06 but never took the time to look into that.
You can. I have a broken shoulder and when it acts up, I grab my Model 54 and shoot gallery loads I loaded for it. Very mild and good out to 200 yards for practice.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I found this Winchester XPR .270 with Vortex scope combo

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881657863

They have same gun in .243. So I’m still between the two calibers.

And this Savage 111XP .270 with a Nikon scope on it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884684705

I like the combos because I really don’t feel like guessing which rings or bases I need. Also this is just a first time maybe hunt with it a few times kinda thing. I don’t want to go crazy or make myself crazy frettin over rifles and which scope and all that. Nice factory combo for the kid. My gut tells me the Winchester may be better than the Savage by a bit but the Nikon may be better than a bottom line Vortex. Savage does has button rifled barrel.
Have I convinced you guys to convince me to go with the Savage yet? :)
Also not sure he’d like a FDE colored gun as the one he borrowed was black and he was really hoping for a camo gun cuz you know ‘that’ll kill more deer dad!’
Winchester rifles are made by FN.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
3-4 inches at 100 or so; but there will likely be some horizontal shift, as well. I like 70/75/80 for coyotes, and don't consider 90 BTHP from sierra - in the 243 85-90 grain bullets buck wind and hit hard. I wouldn't hesitate to use 90s on antelope/deer <300 and get by with just one load does all - and know how it performs.
This is where you need to go.

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
526 Posts

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Went to Bass Pro today. They actually had the ‘Black Friday’ sale gun which is a Savage Axis with a 3-9 weaver scope on it. Sale price was $314 and it came with a $75 mail in rebate. So I’m into it cheap. Has a decent action. Trigger could use a bit of work. I’ll take it apart and see if I can smooth things up. But for the price it’s perfect to see if hunting is something he wants to pursue further. We got it in .270. They had ammo but limited us to two boxes. 130gr Winchester Ballistic SilverTips. I’m actually surprised one can get a decent scoped rifle for so ‘cheap’. Eager to go shoot it on my next day off and let him sight it in.

6ECC1041-81A9-4CFF-9DBB-9FDED858103E.jpeg
B3184546-93B8-4447-A3BF-E3A958DD6578.jpeg
863D4007-B4B6-471E-9521-7FCC75A16093.jpeg

·
Registered
912 Posts
My first rifle was a 30/30. But if I were buying one for a teenager, it would be a 243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 60 Posts