260 Remington build complete.

Discussion in 'Range Trips & Reviews' started by DRYHUMOR, Nov 23, 2011.

1. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    :nod:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had been wanting to get into the 260 for a few months. I looked at actions, donor rifles, played all the angles.... and finally ordered the barrel before finalizing the action choice. Then made the common sense (cheap) decision to use my Winchester M70 Stealth for the build.

Then I looked into the cost of shipping, building, coating, builders, all that stuff. My LGS happened to have a couple rifles in his shop one day to Duracoat. They were custom rifles made by an outfit called Carolina Custom Rifles. Heck, they were only 30 minutes down the road. :biggrin1:

Spoke with the owner, David Amick; heck of a nice guy. Went out and met him and E C Owens, his partner. Hung around with them for about 5 hours one day, aksing questions and watching them get close to completing a build, and left the rifle and barrel with them.

Went out today, as the rifle had gotten to the load development stage. We found a sweet spot, went past it, and found another. The 140 gr bullets are pretty long, right now the Berger VLDs are seated just off the lands. The last 3 shots I fired are on the target. David had to take his son hunting, and I'm close enough with a load, that I can fine tune it a bit tighter. So I think.........:nod:

The 260 is pretty sweet to shoot, the recoil is pretty mild. Though we did work up a 130 gr Accubond load that was a little more "peppy".

Barrel is a Lilja 3 groove, 1:8 twist, Sendero profile.

DISCLAIMER: ANY load data depicted here is not intended for any other person's use, load data is SPECIFIC to MY rifle and no other.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Very nice,........

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Beautiful build. I love my 6.5x55. The bullets will be long for that. They have a reputation for deap penatration. congrats.

4. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks.

The 130 gr load I can fit into the magazine, the 140s I'll have to single load. No worries though :thumb:

5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Beautiful gun brother! I'll give you a ring later if you are gonna be up. I was grinding deer meat when you called before.

6. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Deer meat? Glad you finally snuck up on one.....:biggrin1:

7. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Very well done!:thumb:

8. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I got a thing for the 6.5. I wish the 260 was out when I got my 7mm08 in a Remington KS custom with 18.5" barrel. Have been shooting 6.5X55 Swede for close to fifty years.

9. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Nice build bro! Looks great!

10. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks T. I loaded a few rounds yesterday, going to go see how they do in a bit.

11. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Worked out my Scenar load for this rifle.

Now, if I could just not wiggle as much.... my flyers opened the group up to .88 inches. :rolleyes2:

[​IMG]

12. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Nice shooting. Anytime you can get a gun to group under an inch that is a good rifle and or shooter.

13. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks LK, I've decided to wear a few rifles out before I pass to the great beyond. Hopefully my shooting will improve along the way.

14. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Not a bad group for an old decrepit pistol shooter. LOLOLOL! No, seriously, you have me about convinced to keep the .260 barrel on the gun I just bought! Guess I'll have to see how it shoots when it arrives after Christmas. Too bad that isn't a 10 shot group...you get tired, winded or what?

In all seriousness, great shooting and I look forward to you selling me this rifle when you tire of it! Just make sure you include the load data! :tongue:

15. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    I only loaded 9 rounds......:biggrin1: Just checking the load, I felt like I was close anyway. That cluster of 5 measured .4 inches.

I was also working on a 130 gr Berger load. I still need to tweak that one. I seated them pretty far out, I feel I need to back em up some.

16. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Good job DH. Enjoy.

17. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks. Still waiting to see you buy one and get into rifle shooting..... Heck, you've got a 500 yd range just down the road.

18. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    I used to shoot foot powder on the bullets after seating them. When they quit touching I'd back them off just a hair and they worked great.

19. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I love any rifle made in a 6.5. I really wanted a 6.5 on a 308 case. A 7mm-08 came my way in a Remington KS custom M-7. Has a 18.5 Barrel.
    So easy to carry, I think it weighs a bit over 6lbs. with scope. I used to belong to a range in Maryland that had a 300 yard rifle range. I could shoot 3.5" groups with it at that range. Thought that was great for a featherweight rifle.
    Now that I don't hunt anymore I sort of lost interest in rifles. I still have two 6.5X55 Swedes, one is a Carl Gustave, and the other Remington 700 classic, and a pre 64 264 Win Mag Westerner
    Sorry guess this did not add much to your thread...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted