.280 gets a test drive today

Discussion in 'Range Trips & Reviews' started by DRYHUMOR, Feb 26, 2012.

1. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Recently picked up this. Rem M700 Mountain .280 1:9.25 twist, 22" light barrel. Unknown round count, the barrel was fairly fouled though.

[​IMG]

Then picked up a green Bell and Carlson Mountain rifle stock to put it in. One of my .257s on the bottom.

[​IMG]

I wanted to test run it with some factory ammo to see what I had as a starting point. 140gr Remington Corelokt PSP. Judging by the chrono numbers it could be more consistent. But hey, whaddaya expect for what it was. Seriously though, it's plenty accurate enough for a hunting rifle. When I begin load development I'll use some 140gr Accubonds.

I shot one fouler into the berm before shooting onto the paper. First round was low left. Next three was a group at .32", not too shabby. Then I adjusted the scope and shot 10 rounds. The highest one I pulled- no big deal, still had a 1.47" group.

I think this is prob the 5th or 6th rifle in a 7mm caliber I've had, guess cause they work pretty well. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

bdickers likes this.
  2. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Nice man...love the green stock!

3. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks Joe. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I think it looks pretty good though.

4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Yep I dig the green. Assume 100yd

5. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats! The .280 was my very first rifle. Great, very under appreciated round. :thumb:

6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes sir the 280 is a great round. Nice looking stock you put on that rifle. I could never get into it as I'm a 270 FREAK.

7. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Rocketman, yep, right at 100. I generally shoot 120 to 130. I'm waiting on some drying to bring a load of dirt in for a backstop. It'll be a 160 ish plinking range when I'm through.

Limbkiller, man, you know those 270s are weak..... just kidding. I've had one 270 and one 270 WSM, the WSM was pretty bad as.

8. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Ow man I wish I had a .280. I do have a 7mm-08. Can't beat that .284!

9. Mt Airy

Mt Airy New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I also like the .280 . This is my 280 Ackley Imp
    [​IMG]

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Very nice,.........I'm sure you could get the group to sub moa with good ammo!
    Corelokt is decent, but there are better choices.

The w stock looks flippin outstanding!

11. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks.

Been doing some load development with Nosler 140 Accubonds. Takes a long time due to the thin pencil barrel heating up. I have one worked out at 51.5 gr of IMR 4350, avg 2618 FPS. I've shot 3 3 shot groups at 160 yds of 1.87" 1.56" and 1.31" for an average of 1.58".

I've upped the charge weight a bit more to see if I get any improvement. If not, I'll go with this one ^^ as I feel the rifle can shoot a hair better than I have so far. 2 of the three rounds in each group are 1/2".....

I like this rifle, I think it'll be the deer rifle for this season. :thumb:

12. JUNKIE

JUNKIE New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    The 280 is a great cartridge. Killed my first elk with it. Handloading really brings out the best in this cartridge. Glad to see another 280 fan on here.

13. DRYHUMOR

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks JUNKIE.

Took it for another spin with the upped charges yesterday eve. 53 gr performed pretty solid- 1.23" @ 160 yds. I'll load it again to check repeatability and chrono it.

That's a grain over max in the Nosler book, but not in my old Hornady book. Stout load though, I can feel the difference over 51.5.... 'course it is a mountain rifle.

5-22-12

Finally got something I can work with. Tweaked the charge, then started tweaking the seating depth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted