308 Gas Block

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by wrmiller, Feb 23, 2019.

1. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Anyone here have experience with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on a LR-308?

Just installed mine, and hope to be headed to the range on Tuesday. One suggestion is to start with the gas block closed and open until bolt locks back, the other method suggests starting with it wide open.

I've been told that most/many LR-308s are overgassed and I'm trying to reduce the number of attempts here, and was thinking of starting mid-point which is two turns to reduce the trial and error here.

It's not like this is a big deal, just looking for any tidbits or experience here. :)

2. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    wrmiller.... I use the JP Enterprises gas block on my .308. I started closed, and made large adjustments to start. (1turn) @ 2 full turns I went to half turns. When it finally locked back I fine tune back a quarter turn and call it good if it locks back. Can't see beating the rifle up starting from wide open.
    I am constantly working on different handloads for accuracy, so I am always tinkering with the block

wrmiller and PewPewPtwang like this.

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Thank you Sir, sounds like 2 turns is a good place to start.

4. Jwp

Jwp Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 6, 2019
    I run the Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on my .308. Just remember after 4 1/2 rotations from the closed position you are going into bleed off mode. If I am not mistaken it bleeds the gas towards the front of your rifle for when you are running suppressed, to minimize blow back.

Closed is all the way closed and wide open is 4 1/2 rotations.

To be honest I have mine at the 4 1/2 rotation setting. I am running a rifle length gas system and the recoil is minimum and my casing are ejecting at the 3' o'clock position.

Do start around 2 rotations and go from there. Just do it one bullet at a time until your bolt locks back and keep an eye on where your casings are going.

I edit this just to say, after thinking about it and looking at this chart mine are probably going more 4-430 range. I probably will adjust on it a little.

You will be amazed though with recoil on the AR10, feels very close to an Ar15.

ARejectionpattern.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    wrmiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted