.357 1911 they ain't cheap ...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Mythree, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    Anyone hear anything - or know anything about this company, .357 mag 1911 :nod: Actually, when all is said and done price isn't bad at all if quality is there.

http://www.coonaninc.com/

(I am no way affiliated with, associated with, or doing business with this company in anyway now - or in the immediate future, this is NOT a promo by me, for them)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I have no experience with them, but I want one. I've read quite a few favorable reviews. I know Sarge from Sarge's Grips/The Finer Grain likes his a lot.

3. Mythree

Oct 9, 2011
    Maybe he'll be kind enough to chime in with a review, range report and pictures as I like the looks and idea as well.

4. Mythree

Oct 9, 2011
    Well - well, I may have to break my not over a $1000 rule, so very, very nice. Thank you for providing the links but they probably won’t do a lot of good to the majority on this site as most have been banned over there - lol...

5. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
  6. Tape

Tape Banned

Dec 6, 2011
  7. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I had an original Coonan model B back in the 80s.

Interesting piece, but the grip is very long front to back and did not get along with my short fingers.

If you like the Coonan, look for a Grizzly too... awesome fun in the .45 Win Mag, but also a very large grip frame!

8. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Not only expensive, it looks ugly too.

9. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    I am a dealer for Coonan and have sold several of these pistols. They are a heavy beast, to say the least. I would not necessarily group them in the 1911 category, as they have several unique components that are not 1911 pieces, including the trigger. They are a well built, solid pistol, from what I have experienced.

10. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    As mentioned, they look something like a 1911, but internals are somewhat different. The 1911 style trigger didn't fit inside the Coonan so they went with a different style. The company actually went out of business years ago, but Coonan believed in the gun and managed to get the company rolling again. The grip is very long, just imagine a 357 magnum cartridge, plus some. Whether they are ugly or beautiful is up to you. If you really want 357 magnum in a semi auto it is either this or a Desert Eagle I suppose. Or you could step it down just a bit and go with a 357 sig.

11. bryanZ06

bryanZ06 aka scooterhoohoos

Oct 26, 2011
    That's actually my vid. I just sold it last week. It was good quality overall and a VERY fun gun, but when my Delta Elite came back from the smith I shot it and the Coonan back to back. I knew that the Coonan would mostly sit in my safe. If I was still in the "collector" mode I was a few years ago it would still be here. It shot well and liked almost anything I put through it (the two exceptions were Blazer aluminum and some weak reloads). Quite a few of the parts are interchangeable with a standard 1911. I believe Coonan has them listed on their site.

It looks big, but as you can see it's not too much bigger than a standard 1911.

dlqb6q.jpg

If you've got any other questions I'll be happy to help. As I said I just sold mine last week and I shot it the week before so it's still somewhat fresh on my mind.

12. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    For those of you that have shot one of these .357 Coonans and a full-sized 1911 in 10mm (with intended hot loads), what are your thoughts and comparisons?

deadite

13. deadite

Aug 17, 2011
    Wow, we posted almost at the same time. :)

How was the recoil in comparison to the 10mm from your Delta? I have a Delta Elite and really love it, but it seems like the .357 Coonan is an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

deadite

14. bryanZ06

Oct 26, 2011
    Shooting the Coonan with full power .357 feels like shooting watered down 10 through the Delta. It really has (a lot!) more bark than bite. The first time I shot the Coonan I was very surprised at the lack of recoil.

15. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Here is my model B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love it! and it is very accurate.

16. deadite

Aug 17, 2011
    As I suspected. Thanks!

While I think it's a neat idea, it seems like it's not my cup of tea. "So you mean I can have a heavier, thicker gun with a larger grip frame than a 1911 and it has less power and less mag capacity than a more stream-lined 10mm 1911?....I'm in!"

;)

deadite

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  17. bryanZ06

Oct 26, 2011
    Sounds like you and I are on the same page, I just had to buy one to figure that out. :lol:

Seriously though, the gun guy in me REALLY liked it. The practical side of me said it does nothing that my Delta couldn't do.

18. deadite

Aug 17, 2011
    Ha! Don't get me wrong. I would love to have one....but my Delta is sweet.

[​IMG]

:)

deadite

19. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Great question. :nod:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted