357 mag 158gr lswc?

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by duketbrd88, Jan 18, 2019.

1. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    How tight should a. 358 lswc fit in the cylinder throat of a revolver? I'm able to push a hornady xtp through with a pencil nice and easy .

With the lead bullet, it took a More force with a wood dowl and a tap with a hammer. I measured the bullet after and it measured like . 0005 smaller than before it went in and looked fine.

The cylinder throats on my new 4" korth seem like they are on the little bit tighter size.

2. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I think your're good, how does it shoot? My revolvers shoot good, I've never measured the throats, npot going to. I have owned 2 revolvers that didn't shoot well and leaded like crazy. A .45 and a .44, both had OVERSIZED throats. I don't worry about it if they shoot well. I have Hornady lead SWC's, .357", cast bullets that measure .358 and .359. The .357 dia shoot ok except my 642 pulls the bullets. Gonna try gov. brass, it's thicker, should hold the bullets tighter. .0005" darn sure wouldn't worry me.

duketbrd88 likes this.

3. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Haven't shot it yet was hoping to get out this weekend.

Thanks

4. conditor

conditor Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2019
    It depends on the firearm. I've found that .358 works in all the 38 spcl. and 357 mag. I've tried.
    some revolvers need to be "throated" have the throats honed larger to allow better accuracy by allowing a larger diameter bullet to enter the chamber and fill the bore completely.

duketbrd88 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted