357 sig build

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Hrhawk, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Hrhawk

Hrhawk New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Anyone have some experience with 357 sig in the 19/2011 platform. I know it’s not optimal due to case length. I have no interest in it for a carry or duty pistol.

But, the rules for USPSA have changed allowing for 357 major. I though I might have a pistol rechambered from 40. I have access to ammo and would love to have a cheap practice rig in single stack/limited or both.

Anyone with experience please chime in and let me know if they can be made to run reasonably well for practice purposes and what mags you used.

2. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I would recommend not persuing a 357sig build on a 1911/2011 platform. The bottleneck cases tend to not do well with our magazine dimensions.

If your looking for 357sig performance in a 1911/2011 I’d recommend looking at 9x23 or a slight step down to 38Super. You’ll get a more reliable gun with more capacity.

Edit: just saw your trying to make 357 major. I’m not sure how they are clarifying that. Wouldn’t 9mm major fall under that category in addition to 9x23/38Super? I have no experience with USPSA I would assume that they are saying 357sig major would be acceptable since there is no capacity advantage.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    wrmiller likes this.

3. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Yes building a 9x23 right now and it will feed like a dream in a 1911.... I will handload it.

wrmiller likes this.
  4. Hrhawk

Hrhawk New Member

Feb 7, 2014
    No idea how they came to allow it. My consideration has nothing to do with ballistics. It is only because I have lots of 357 sig available to me. I have one each running 40 with no issues. But would consider 357 if it could be made to run “reasonably” well, as in get through a decent practice session without wanting to throw it over the berm.

wrmiller likes this.
  5. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Who's barrel? I'm thinking of building a 9x23 STI and would like a bull barrel with a Clark/Para ramp.

6. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I’d go Clark/kkm if going a new barrel. Just ream out an existing 9mm barrel if it’s a STI barrel.

wrmiller likes this.
  7. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Nowlin.

wrmiller likes this.
  8. Patrick Taylor

Patrick Taylor Yes, I own a dremel tool.

Nov 7, 2011
    I have a Delta with a Storm lake 357 barrel in it. There were some bullet profiles it did not like but once I found what it liked it ran fine.

9. Hrhawk

Hrhawk New Member

Feb 7, 2014

Would you be willing to share what profiles worked for you and what mags you were using?

10. Patrick Taylor

Patrick Taylor Yes, I own a dremel tool.

Nov 7, 2011
    It has been so long since I was shooting it I doubt I could say for sure. I do remember I got into it as at the time it was the cheapest round to reload for with the 357 brass being cheaper than 9mm. Brass has gone up and I have not shot it much the last few years.

I do remember the best was the 124gr Winchester bullet loaded long. The shape of the bullet would not work in a 357sig loaded to 357 length but with the extra room in a 1911 that bullet profile could be loaded long and these fed the best.

Unless you have access to cheap 357 ammo or just like tinkering with something like this the Super 38 or one of it variants is probably a better way to go.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted