375 H&H Rifles

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Marine24, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Marine24

Marine24 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I've always had a passion for this caliber, despite not having a need for a big bore rifle. No plans to go hunting in Africa and my hunting needs for elk to pronghorn are more than adequately met by my 338-06 and 257 Wby.

Regardless, I've gotten the itch for a rifle in 375 H&H to add to the collection. Maybe two. A double rifle in 375 H&H would be the pinnacle, but not sure I can afford the invitation to that dance. A bolt action is where I plan on starting while keeping one eye cocked for a Merkel or Kreighoff double at a crazy price.

Preferences lean towards the classic Dangerous Game rifle. Wood stock, 24" barrel, blued, iron sights and weighing in around 9 pounds without scope.

I picked up a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H at a Rock Island Armory action as part of a two rifle package, but lacked the iron sights and was quickly sold. Package included a 220 Swift, which was what I was after.

Open to any suggestions from the Addicts who own or have owned one.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    gps man and xerts1191 like this.
  2. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I take some time every year to help my hunting buddy, George Caswell with his booth (Champlin Arms) at the Dallas Safari Club convention and the SCI convention. I have done this for almost 20 years. We don't set up at SCI any more, but I am leaving for the Dallas convention early tomorrow morning. We sell a lot of double rifles and quite a few .375's. I think the best going in a modern bolt gun would be a Dakota. Lots of options on set up with them. If you go pre-64 model 70, be aware that they commonly have cracked stocks. The crack starts in the web between the magazine box and the trigger opening. It eventually will migrate behind the trigger opening into the wrist of the stock. This is one classic m70 where glass bedding does not ruin the value of the gun to most who shoot them. The thinking is that they either have not been shot much, or if not glass bedded will have a broken stock. Most who buy this caliber want a controlled feed action, so that eliminates quite a few makers these days. Quality Doubles in 375 H&H are pretty pricey and here the Krieghoff is pretty good in a modern gun. As I am sure that you know, a British in 375 is going to be pricey.

Marine24 and Mike Meints like this.

3. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    If you want to get into big bore rifles , take a look at the CZ 550 safari magnum , very fairly priced at around $1,500 .in .375 H&H
    8040E1C7-D5EF-4610-8CCD-69F615D56D26.jpeg
    If you have a spare $20,000+ Westley Richards bolt gun
    726DDC7F-CF2E-47E0-BC7F-C26C10D70A9D.jpeg
    If you really want to go crazy, for $100,000 +
    C864E13F-4F42-4DA4-B2C7-D337A3B9AD34.jpeg 229115AD-EB8E-40CD-94F1-00EDC3BD779B.jpeg
    Although .375 is a great all around caliber, take a look at .416 Rigby

wrmiller, gps man, GoetzTalon and 5 others like this.
  4. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    I've been looking at the CZ 550s. They have an American model that has the straighter comb stock also available. I'm partial to Weatherby rifles with their Monte Carlo stock so the raised comb model is a good option. Just need to see how well it mounts/fits me.

Amazing what folks can do with rifles. I thought Merkel and Heym were pretty spectacular, but not after seeing your pics and those from Holland and Holland.

Had a buddy who went to England with $10K in his pocket ready to buy a H&H double rifle. Needless to say, he came home with the $10K and no double.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  5. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Used to camp out on Champlin Arms' website when I was in search of a double rifle (before reality set in). He has a nice looking Sako Safari Grade on the website with a S&B scope.

6. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I have a Kimber Talkeetna and have no plans to ever hunt Africa.

No wood nor blue though, but it does have sights... :)

xerts1191 and tac45 like this.
  7. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    That model Sako is pretty nice. Another friend, Duane Wiebe designed that stock for Sako many years ago when that was an active model. They made it in 375, 300 win mag, and even a few in 7mm mag, though I have never actually seen one in 7. Not a controlled feed action but a huge extractor and great actions and barrels. I shoot a Lenard Brownell custom with that action and it has never let me down. I guess I will see that Sako tomorrow. If you are interested pm me and we can see if the deal can get better.

xerts1191 likes this.
  8. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    How is the weight on the Kimber? Gun Tests had a good write up on that rifle, comparing it to the CZ 550 and Winchester Model 70. The Kimber and CZ got buy recommendations.

9. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013
    Rifle itself weighs around 8lbs.. I have a 1x4 leupold on it and its probably closer to your 9lbs..

10. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Nice. In Gun Tests' article they expected the Kimber to come with more recoil given its lighter weight, but said it was comfortable shooting. At least as comfortable as shooting a 375 H&H could be.

xerts1191 likes this.
  11. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    If you guys want to drool,check out Connecticut Shotgun.
    Lots of big-bore rifles,bolt and doubles.
    Was in the place before it ever opened.
    Top grade doubles,in cases,freaking stacked all over!!
    Like a kid didn't put away toys.
    Was mental,stuff like 500k mere inches away.
    At the time,Guns and Ammo and Safari writers were most of my gun knowledge,was HEAVEN!!! :)

xerts1191 and tac45 like this.
  12. tarosean

Apr 7, 2013

I freakin love the gun.. I bought it and a 300WM (Rem 5R) to do a moose hunt in Canada. Work got in the way of the hunt so all its killed is paper.

13. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I have a Sako 375 H&H that I have had for years. Maybe shot 50 rounds through it.
    I think it was their Safari grade rifle.. It has beautiful wood and a black fore end. I put on a Warne detachable mount with a Nikon low power variable..
    I love taking it out of the safe once in a while just to look at this beauty.

xerts1191 and Mike Meints like this.
  14. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Cabelas Gun Library had one that was good looking. They slapped a fixed power scope on it that was too short and guaranteed to give you a nice scope cut on your brow the first time you shot it. No iron sights.

It had a plum finish on the receiver that I thought was odd along with a muzzle break. It mounted very nice though.

Had a “coat of many colors” look but action sure was smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  15. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    Have to add that to the possible candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. LBZ

LBZ Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    I know you asked about the H+H and that's cool if that's want you want. However have you considered the .375 Ruger? It does not need the magnum length action that the H+H does and has identical ballistics.
    I guess this is kinda like you asking which steak to get and I am telling you that you really want pork chops.

17. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    I've consider the .375 Ruger but I like the history behind the .375 H&H. I ran in to a good deal on a Ruger #1 that I couldn't pass up, but still talking with JJ Perodeau about a double in 30-06, which would make for an ideal brush/hog rifle, as well as the Caprivi he has.

Kudos to Win. He has been very helpful. He was helping out at the Dallas Safari Convention last week and had a Chapuis .375 H&H double. Unfortunately, I didn't move fast enough.

xerts1191 likes this.
  18. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I've got a M700 in .375H&H and a M700 in .416 Rem Mag and both are exceptional.

xerts1191, tac45 and Kip like this.
  19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Man I found a 458 Lott ,I want it BADDDDDD

xerts1191, Kip and Glock2740 like this.
  20. Marine24

Apr 7, 2015
    They are out there. Came across a Chapuis double rifle in 375 H&H. It is an O/U, which I'm more familiar with if I can associate shotguns with double rifles. Price tag hurts.

xerts1191 and Kip like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted