38 Minimilization Ponderings

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by RatBikeRod, Dec 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    I need to bounce this idea off you guys.

I noted in another thread that I had been toying with an idea as I have gone through my reduction of arms while being jobless. And to those of you that have not seen, it looks like I now will have a job in the new year. I should start work just after the first, God be praised!

Thanks for all your support.

Anyhow, I had not put my thoughts down as I was just toying with them. But effectively it is this;

I am now down to two 1911’s and a few P320’s that I keep for light carry or home defense. I kept my shotgun and my 357 Henry lever gun and a couple of 22 pistols that I plan to use for when I have grandchildren. But effectively I sold everything else to keep a positive cash flow during this period.

I plan to keep my collection pretty small moving forward and not allow myself to get back to having so much sitting in the safe. As such one other thing came to mind and this is where I need your help/thoughts;

Could I/should I hone down my component mix (and gun mix) to just .355-.357 pills? This would greatly reduce the space I am using for reloading (basically a large closet in my home) and free up shelf space. It would also limit the type of reloading components I need in so far as primers (all small for a change) and powder, and stretch the powder further being that these calibers use less.

I would effectively keep myself to 9mm, SIG 357, 38 Super or 357 Magnum.

I can think of nothing I need to do that would require a different caiber, if I am honest with myself.

This would mean that I would replace my VBob and A2 with most probably a Guardian in 38 Super and I was thinking of getting a Vigil in 9mm and converting it.

Pros;
    My reloading footprint is smaller
    Component mix is less
    Bullet needs can be combined (I successfully found that the plated SIG 357 round shoulder bullets I have work fine in my 9mm handguns and are sufficiently accurate)

Cons
    Diversity?

Thoughts?

gps man, xerts1191 and LPRoad like this.
  2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Beware of a man with one gun.

cgff, john_anch_ak, gps man and 3 others like this.

3. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    LOL, love that quote, so true.

4. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    One negative I can think of, which may not apply to you, is that some people cannot seem to be able to hang on to cash and having physical items that could be sold off is a form of savings for them.

m2man, KS95B40, cgff and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only you can make this decision.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  6. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Always a topic of concern, especially in our current economic situation. I tend to do pretty well here and have been able to keep enough put back to weather times like I just went through (with a little auspicious selling to help out a bit). Generally I stick with my dad’s general rule to always have 6 months of salary put aside just in case. That saved my bacon during this time.

stlgecko, FWoo45, gun_fan111 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Get settled in the new job, past any probationary period, before you buy anything. Maybe for NEXT Christmas.

PewPewPtwang and wcanterbury like this.
  8. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Oh, aside from any possible trading/selling no moneys would be spent prior to that for sure. It would first be a continued liquidation of the non-38 stuff I have filling the shelves of my reloading area.

FWoo45 and wcanterbury like this.
  9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Congratulations on the job! That must be a relief.

As far as caliber standardization is concerned, start by clearly defining your use cases (your "missions"). Take a honest look at ammunition costs and availability. Then work backwards from there.

Personally, I stick to 9mm, 45 ACP, and 5.56/.223. My main interest is self defense, and I want ammunition that is easy to find and economical. Hence my choices. But that's just me...

kwkid55, Journeyman1234, Dwe and 2 others like this.
  10. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yea, that is exactly what I have been doing. The idea being that there is no “mission” I have that I can’t cover with 9mm, SIG 357, 38 Super or 357 Magnum. So you are right on track with my thinking, just makes things simpler. I will reload more 9mm and 38 Super than the other two and on my Dillon 9mm and 38 Super uses the same base plate, so I can push out a lot of either types of ammo without changing the base plate.

DukeSoprano and xerts1191 like this.
  11. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    K.I.S.S. I have found keeping it simple in life has served me well, he with the most guns may or may not win. I thinned the Arsenal out for reloading purposes. The older I get, the less I need.

cgff likes this.
  12. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Great points and I agree, I stick with the same calibers myself plus .38/.357 just because I still have a couple of old wheelguns that I haven’t been able to let go of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    While I totally understand and respect this line of thought, variety is the spice of life. That's what I keep telling myself anyway. I got out of .40 a couple months ago and now am wondering what to do with ally left over ammo. And I want to add a .38 super. And a couple new rifle cartridges. I'm not good at this. I commend you.

14. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    So the interesting part of this is that, I kept my P320 platform. And while I tend to shoot it in 9mm, I have barrels and slides that allow me to switch it from 9mm, to SIG 357, 40 or 45 ACP.

So if I get a hankering to shoot or carry 40 or 45 I would still have the option in that platform. This would really only mean a major change in my reloading bench and with my 1911 platform.

FWoo45 and xerts1191 like this.
  15. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    The older thing is also part of this that I did not note. I tend to load my 45’s with 200gr and lighter loads. I no longer enjoy 230gr loads. I have just enough issue with my hands to keep me from shooting anything nearing abusive, and I have found that even my tolerance for 230 has diminished.

I doubted that and shot some older 230 I still had this last week. I was shooting mostly handloaded 200gr SWC’s and had 3 boxes of 230 after I ran through my SWC’s. I ran a box and then moved back to shooting my 9mm.

It’s hard to admit that my recoil tolerance is diminishing.

gps man and FWoo45 like this.
  16. DSTallguy

DSTallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    Although not popular, a 40s&w was on the shelf the longest during the last ammo scare during Obama administration. For rifles I could always find 30-06 during that timeframe. 9mm, 223, 45ACP, 308 and of course 22LR we’re gone quickly.

17. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    This is an excellent point. No rule out there says you have to reload for every caliber you own and can always buy a box of ammo and head for the range.

18. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    So I took the afternoon and went through all my components. Pulled everything I could reduce based on my criteria and was able to free up a lot of room and organize things much better.

It will take me time to make the full transition, but I like the initial improvements. Somewhat freeing.

19. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I would keep the VBob. It’s a perfect carry gun that you shoot very well.
    They have been discontinued and you’ll have a difficult time replacing it.

Journeyman1234 likes this.
  20. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    So the question is how do I convert it to 38 Super???

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted