38 super-38 Auto-38 Auto+P-38 Super Lapua-38 Super Comp -38 Super RL-38 Super TJ

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by cundiff5535, Jul 10, 2020.

1. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    Never ever realized how many variations of this caliber there are. Looks like 38 Super, 38 Super Auto, and 38 Super +P all fall under the “Super category”

Meanwhile, 38 Super Lapua, 38 Super TJ, 38 Super Comp, 38 Super RL all fall under the “Super Comp” category.

It’s a total pain in the ass to separate these cases and identify which are rimmed and which are not (at least for me).

Does anyone have a easier way to separate these out other than looking and checking each and every head stamp?

Thoughts, suggestions, help!

Dub likes this.
  2. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Sure.

If the case has a semi rim; it falls in your first category.

If "rimless", it's in the latter.

WoodrowAugustus likes this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Lest you forget, there is 9x23mm and 9mm Largo that both share very similar case dimensions.

Dub and Capthobo like this.
  4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    9X23 is a tapered case Z.

The Largo would fall in the “old school” semi rimmed category (from memory)

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    Wow, I guess I never realized there were that many similar cases. I only load for 38 Super +P and 38 Super Comp. I try to only have one of those with me on range day to cut down on time spent sorting.

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

You know me and "old school". I totally forgot about .38 ACP, the parent of all of the above (except possibly for 9x23mm).

upload_2020-7-10_14-42-41.png

And then there is the 9x23 Steyr as well . . . . .

upload_2020-7-10_14-44-46.png

Dub likes this.
  7. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Oh vey....

Dub and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    maybe it’s my eyes... really hard for me to see this/tell just by looking at it.

9. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    “Rim deduction” be mo easy than “headstamp readin’”.
    I’d think it could be done tactile-ly, no sight involved. ( :

gps man likes this.
  10. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    38 lapua, 9mm Devel, 9mm Super Cooper, etc etc etc

Dub, ZoidMeister and cundiff5535 like this.
  11. bladeandbarrel

bladeandbarrel ISO The Very Best 1911's Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2019
    In a perfect world, there would be only 38 Super comp.

Wildcat Creeker and cundiff5535 like this.
  12. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    All of the "Super Comp" type cases will load the same. SC, TJ , Lapua and all have the same rim size.
    I use a 223. plate on my Dillon and as long as it goes in the plate "I" consider it a SC case and load it. I'm loading most for uspsa open class and loading to major velocity. Shot in a 2011.

Super cases will not fit in the plate so any that got picked up by mistake or just not separated. Get separated during loading.

All of my super cases are old hold overs from years gone by and I use them for fun range practice and occasional steel matches (in 1911's), where we tarp the shooting area so brass is easy to recover. FWIW

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  13. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Lawd......this is giving me a headache.

And to think I was grumbling about having to do sort .45acp for primer pocket size.

Been saving the .38 Super range pick ups with the plan to eventually add a gun in this caliber........looks like more sorting is needed. :)

I’m going to add a lighted magnifying glass to my brass prep bench. My eyes could use some help.

cundiff5535 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  14. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Ok, easiest way I’ve found is to set up my Dillon press in either 38 super or super comp, and just leave the sizing die in.

The comp case wil really wobble and I can just grab it out... if I’m going the other way, the 38 super will not fit into super comp she’ll plate, and Incan just pick it out and toss it into a separate bucket.

Im able to separate and process the cases at the same time. Then, I can run them through my automated 105” as the sizes and deprives cases run smoother in the press.

Saves me a crap ton of eye strain.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted