.38 Super Conversion

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Garry Johnson, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Garry Johnson

Garry Johnson Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Back in early June of this year, I bought my first 1911 in 9mm. It is a Kimber Stainless LW(light weight). I have enjoyed many 1911’s in .45 ACP over the years, but it was really nice to shoot a gun with significantly less recoil and the same accuracy as my other 1911‘s in .45 ACP.

After a while, I started toying with the idea of getting a .38 Super barrel for it. As most .38 Super barrels are not cheap, I was extremely lucky to find a SigSauer .38 Super barrel for so little $$ that I would have been a fool NOT to buy it, so I did. I also bought two .38 Super magazines, 200 pieces of brass, and a heaver(14lb)recoil spring. I already had 1500 124gr bullets for the 9mm and 9mm dies can be used to load .38 Super. I lucked out in that the barrel bushing fit the new barrel better than it fit the 9mm barrel.

I took the new setup to the range last week just to do a simple function test to see if any fitting was needed and after about 50 rounds I was satisfied that all was good as is. I went back this week to do some accuracy testing and I am very pleased with the results.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Top: Xtreme 124gr plated FP 4.5gr American Select
    Next: Xtreme 124gr FMJ 5gr W231
    Next: Xtreme 124gr FMJ 4.7gr W231
    Bottom: Xtreme 124gr plated FP 4.8gr W231
    All were shot at 10 yards, 19 rounds

Garry

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Fine shooting! I needs me some 231 I think. Ordered everything I need from Dillon, everything's in transit but the dies, which are back ordered. I'm sitting on a keg of Clays so I'll see what that produces but I'm sure it is not the best powder option. Congrats!

3. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    So the Sig .38 super barrel was a complete drop in? No fitting on the barrel or extractor tweaking?

4. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I am surprised to see you say that 38 Super can be loaded with 9mm Luger dies. The 38 Super is a straight wall case, the 9mm is tapered.

gaijin and TheCollector like this.
  5. Garry Johnson

Feb 18, 2017
    Much to my surprise, no fitting was required. Everything worked as it should and there was no tweaking needed either.

Garry

razorbacker likes this.
  6. Garry Johnson

Feb 18, 2017
    To be fair, I haven't had to resize any brass yet. I bought 200 new, unprimed pieces from Midway. A friend told me he has been using 9mm dies and has no problems. I will eventually get some .38 Super dies.

Garry

7. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Understood.

8. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Well-Known Member

May 17, 2020
    This is where you’ll need to use the Lee dies. My Super guru convinced me to ent use it to fully resize the case, especially down toward the rim. I was sent several hundred mild target loads along with a pistol I bought. I was having problems with cycling when shooting those loads. After running them thru the Lee die (I think it’s the crimp die) the issue was resolved. It’s an easy cartridge to load. Resizing fully is the key. Have fun with your Super setup. It’s a great way to go.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted