38 Super Discussion

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by RatBikeRod, Oct 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    So, I am sitting here today trying to look toward being back at work and getting back to being able to plan some resurgent purchases/trades.

As such, since the VBob is not selling (in the classifieds - have not gone to GB yet, I am thinking about planning ahead and maybe trading the VBob for an all steel 38 Super if someone is inclined.

I have been shooting my A2 quite a bit and really love the gun. It just works and I really like the older styling. I am good with it too.

So as I was going through all of my reloading stuff while reloading a bunch of 45 ACP, I realize that I have a pretty solid host of 9mm, 38 Super and 357 SIG brass and 124 & 125gr bullets to reload. Now, I have backed away from the 357 Sig a bit and liked the short time I had with the two 38 Supers I had. The Colt 5” all steel 70 series I shot really well. I never did too well with the Guardian I had, but I think that is me and alloy framed 1911’s. For some reason I dont shoot alloy frames as well. Yea, it could be recoil, but the 38 Super is not that bad. So I suspect it was more me.

That, if I want a commander in 70 series, pretty much limits me to either finding a Colt Combat Commander in 38 Super or getting DW to build me a Valor in 38 Super.

I am thinking about this now as I have a lot of time to reload and want to decide if I go ahead and load up a bunch of 38 Super in hopes of finding a trade for my VBob, or do something different.

I know a number of you are big 38 Super fans (DWE!) and have been very helpful in my past musings on the topic. Since I have this host of brass and a set of Dillon 38 Super dies I sure hate to not use them.....

Any thoughts here?
    Any of you have an all steel 38 Super you might want to discuss doing some horse trading on?

Really just opening up discussion and looking to the future.

For those that have been interested and talking to me in the background - I have a second interview for a PM position with a small firm locally. It will take me out of the IT world, but that is something I have wanted for quite a while. Won’t pay as much I suspect, but I am hoping that things progress I think.

Bro. Pappaw and ZoidMeister like this.
  2. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Rod, first of all good luck on the employment situation.

I'm not offering up another trade and miss my guardian. Agree with the alloy commander pistols being more finicky and need solid technique. So, after I mistakenly traded away my guardian, might have been a good thing, I replaced it with the DW PM-C in super38. I can use the officer frame, though it conceals much better than it grips - for me. Its another value pistol from DW, that gives up nothing on quality. Either fitment or parts. So theres an option for you, they can be found at good prices with prudent shopping. Good luck with everything

UBOATDOC likes this.

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Good luck with the second interview! I also avoid aluminum alloy frames and for that reason have a DW Classic Commander Bobtail in 38 Super ordered. It is still 3 months out but I have high hopes/ expectations.

4. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I love the round. I have a GI NN commander in 38 super. It is my second favorite cartridge....
    [​IMG]

1911 dawg and Mike Meints like this.
  5. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    That is a beauty for sure. I won’t be going that deep, but would love to find something affordable to swap out my VBob for.

I am not seeing a lot of the Colt Combat Commanders though.

6. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    What...
    Me... like the 38 Superb...? Yep. It’s a fantastic SD round and a hand loaders dream.
    I think your choices are a Colt, Dan Wesson Custom, or a semi custom build.
    Not many choices. I wish you all the luck in the world.

7. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yea, I think I will keep my eye open for a Colt for now. Maybe something will come up.

Sneaky One likes this.
  8. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    The value of the 38 Super (I think) is the ability to load it a variety of ways that exceeds that of either the 9mm or the 357 Sig. Granted, I think the 357 Sig is generally a slightly better round and I do not plan on loading the 38 Super to those levels. However, it does seem to be a really versatile round from a handloading standpoint.

Dwe likes this.
  9. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Dan Wesson Guardian....................great gun, light weight, easy to conceal

KTXdm9 and Dwe like this.
  10. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Been there, done that...sold it. In fact had that twice (in 45 and 38 Super), I think me and alloy frames dont work well together.

11. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    One question I have from those of you with mutiple 38 Supers - are they finicky? The Guardian I had was, but that may have been me. I have heard that they can be.

Edit: not Guardians (I think that was me) but 38 Supers.

Dwe likes this.
  12. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I can understand the need for a 38 in steel, my Wilson fills that need. I just enjoy carrying the Dan Wesson

Dwe likes this.
  13. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Yea, the lighter weight is nice, but with my Tucker holster it makes my A2 and VBob pretty easy to carry.

Dwe likes this.
  14. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    My two-tone Wilson Professional in 38 Super is my new favorite range gun, I've been shooting it a lot and have been thinking about using it as my EDC but it is heavy. I agree the alloy's are a tad snappy

0726180810.jpg

1911 dawg, Dwe and DukeSoprano like this.
  15. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    If only you were looking for an alloy framed 38 Superb... I am looking to sell or trade a Stealth in 38 Super for a gun with a full sized frame... I don't find it snappy, I just want a full sized frame.

I agree on the 38 Superb's versatility. Almost 9mm powder puffs for range play, up to some pretty hard hitting rounds, quite a capable caliber.

Dwe likes this.
  16. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    That is very nice. I really like the Wilson Professionals.

Dwe likes this.
  17. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have a 2009 XSE LW Colt Commander in 38 Super. It is in the middle below with a 2006 XSE LW Commander in 45ACP on top and a 2015 XSE LW Commander in 9mm on the bottom.

[​IMG]

The fun of having my shooty collection is taking them all out on the same day and shooting them next to each other.

18. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    A Baer in .38 can be found for 2k or less if you look around. That would be my recommendation. Sell the vbob and save the little extra to get a Baer.

19. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Would it be a big job to convert a 9mm Valor to 38 Super?

20. RatBikeRod

Nov 22, 2017
    Not working kinda kills that plan. I would much rather find a Colt even if it ends up being a lightweight. That or seeing if I can get DW to build me one at some point if I don’t run across a trade.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted