38 Super Les Baer

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by jfrey, Mar 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    Been shooting 1911s in .45 for years but just recently bought a Les Baer PII in 38 Super. Fun to shoot but don't know much about it yet. Any sage advise from the experts here on anything in particular I need to know about the round? Got the pistol at a very good price - used. Pistol was built in 2001 but in 95+ condition.

2. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    It helps if you reload for the caliber. 38 Super ammo can be difficult to locate locally, and when you find it - it can be pricy. So, reloading is the best route. Don't get me wrong, you can probably get a good deal on ammo on-line. But hard to beat the versatility of reloading 38 Super! Enjoy, sounds like a beauty! How about some pictures???

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Journeyman1234 likes this.

3. jimmy james

jimmy james 1911 Fiend

Aug 29, 2017
    Very bad. Mess you up. You need to sell it to me immediately. I shot a 38super race gun (comp and Cmore red dot) for like 15 yrs in USPSA. We ran 125gr bullets pretty hot with VV 3N37 powder to make lots of gas for bullet to go fast and make the comp work. I would work up a target load and 357 approximation load for carry. I think the only thing out there commercially available is a 125 ball load. Try AmmoSeek. I want a LB 38super and I dont know why...

PS...dont know if this is a problem with LB 38 supers but was a problem with the old race guns. The brass tended to bulge at the base just before the extractor groove. Need a special resizing die with no chamfer on the carbide ring. RCBS and Redding used to would make them for you.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    joepilot likes this.
  4. joepilot

joepilot So soon old, so late smart... Supporting Addict

May 17, 2015
    Many of us call it "38 Superb". It is a fantastic caliber for a 1911 pistol. And even better if you reload, as that way you can really get the most out of it. You're gonna love it!!

5. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I have three .38 Superbs - STI Edge, Les Baer UTC, and a Dan Wesson Guardian. They're all great guns. If your Les Baer pistol was built in 2001, it should have a "fully supported chamber" (the barrel has an extended feed ramp). If that's the case, you should be able to shoot any commercially available ammo with no problems. I reload my own ammo in order to: save money, fine tune loads to my personal guns, and get the widest choice of loads for various purposes. That said, you can get relatively inexpensive loads online for general target shooting/practice. I've had good luck with Armscor USA ammo - not Armscor Precision! The latter is made in the Philippines and isn't made to the same standards - at least not in my experience. Armscor USA is made here and uses a 125gr. FMJ bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1250 fps (advertised). For self defense there are several reliable commercial loads to choose from. Try them out and see which one(s) your pistol likes best. It's a good investment for a gun used for EDC or home defense.

41 Charlie likes this.
  6. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I had a 2 tone Colt Special Combat Gov't in 38 Super which I sold. Right after that I adopted a LB P2 1.5" in 38 Super. It's a great gun and easy to shoot well. I should have another gun in 38 Super in hand before too long. All are 5" guns. I reload most of what I feed my guns. There several powders that work satisfactory in this caliber.

7. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    They are nice, esp if you reload. EGW also makes a slightly undersize reloading die in 38 Super.

8. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    If you don't reload like myself, I have found LAX ammo has some good prices ***ammo grab**
    I'm going to try a batch of their .38 sup reload next... will post results when I do.

Old Sea Dragon and dirtystranger like this.
  9. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Shoot the gun and you will understand.
    Les Baer 38 Superb is a fine gun.

41 Charlie likes this.
  10. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    Well the good news is that I already reload for 9mm and .45 ACP so it should be an easy step to reload for 38 Super. I ordered a case of ammo so brass shouldn't be a problem once I shoot that up. I think I am really going to enjoy this pistol. I am going to shoot it in a match in April and that should ring it out pretty well.

Oldgunner and 41 Charlie like this.
  11. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Good for you! I know you're going to love it. Unfortunately, most of the factory ammo available today is pretty anemic. But your correct, save the brass. You can certainly improve upon most factory ammo by rolling your own. Enjoy, and a picture or two would be nice...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted