1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Just got back from the range after shooting my all stainless Ed Brown commander and had 4 or 5 failures to feed the last round. This pistol has a few thousand rounds on it and I’ve seen this same failure recently. Now it’s happening more often. I’m cycling through 3 range magazines. The last round is starting into the chamber and the rim is just beginning to slide up under the extractor. A hard rap on the back of the slide and the round chambers. Worn out magazine spring? Worn out recoil spring? What do you think?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I’d number the mags to see if it is a single mag giving you trouble but also change the recoil spring as well. If it is always the last round in the mag I think it is likely mag related but others more knowledgeable about it will chime in I’m sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I too suspect a tired magazine. Splurge for a couple Trip Research or Wilson Combat magazines. Additionally, springs are cheap. Just do one thing at a time. This will allow some claitity to the fix. Best of luck!
Agree Also clean that mag. "Theres your sign" of a dirty magazine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I’ll clean the magazines first and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn’t, I’ll replace the springs.

I didn’t mention that I’m shooting my reloads. I don’t think that’s the problem since the failure always happens on the last round

thanks for all the feedback, I sure appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
my observation, for whatever its worth..... I use Mec-Gar mags in all my .38 sups. They run great in every gun maker brand I have.... even my own.:confused:

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,663 Posts
I vote for a weakened mag spring, especially since it's the last round as that's when the spring is nearly fully extended and not under any great load.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,015 Posts
Just curious: do your mags have metal(steel)followers?

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I would say a good cleaning and lube it up well with some Quality Lube....38 Super shouldn't beat up recoil spring unless you are loading to max. 3 Mag Springs can't all be weak....Clean the pistol good and go back to the range.

Just my opinion but if you have to tap the back of the slide it would be a lube/dirty gun issue.

Karsten

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would say a good cleaning and lube it up well with some Quality Lube....38 Super shouldn't beat up recoil spring unless you are loading to max. 3 Mag Springs can't all be weak....Clean the pistol good and go back to the range.

Just my opinion but if you have to tap the back of the slide it would be a lube/dirty gun issue.

Karsten

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My pistol was clean and I run all my 1911’s “wet”, so I really think it’s a magazine issue. I’ve not cleaned any of my 3 range magazines and I just checked my shooting log and have right at 3,000 rounds through it. I’ve been having this problem intermittently during the past 500 rounds.

for the record. I have the exact same pistol, except in 45 acp that I purchased in 2013 and it’s NEVER had a malfunction in a little over 10,000 rounds. So, I do know how to maintain a 1911.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You can diagnosis a weak magazine spring by disassembling the mag and placing two cartridges under the spring. Obviously, this will reduce the capacity of the mag but will also increase the effective strength of the spring. If your last round feeding problems go away with two rounds under the spring then your mag spring is the culprit and needs to be replaced.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
My pistol was clean and I run all my 1911’s “wet”, so I really think it’s a magazine issue. I’ve not cleaned any of my 3 range magazines and I just checked my shooting log and have right at 3,000 rounds through it. I’ve been having this problem intermittently during the past 500 rounds.

for the record. I have the exact same pistol, except in 45 acp that I purchased in 2013 and it’s NEVER had a malfunction in a little over 10,000 rounds. So, I do know how to maintain a 1911.
Damn...We have a Master and he knows everything but he comes asking what is wrong....I would think TOOS Banned Members are coming over here thinking it is the same place.

Karsten

1 - 20 of 24 Posts