1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a STI DVC limited in 38 super and a Les Baer in the same caliber. I was tempted to convert my STI to 9mm due to ammo prices. Changed the plan an decided to learn how to reload. Here is my current set up. I loaded 38 super using HAP 125 gr with VVN 350 powder. Rounds are dead accurate. I picked up a sonic cleaner today, going to try the 1911 addicts recco of Lemi Shine and Dawn. I do have 2 questions for the experts. I was considering the Lyman Cyclone brass dryer or is the oven or other method the way to go? Any thoughts? And what about lubing the cases after cleaning? Good or bad idea? Can the spray get inside the brass cartridge? Thanks, Brian

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,557 Posts
Well I'd say your load is accurate enough...
LOL! Shoot much? :cigar:

I find that corn cob media works fine without any additive.
And If you use Carbide sizing dies you won't need to lube the cases.

Lately I've gone to using Lee undersized carbide sizing
dies for 9mm and 38 Superb cases.
It has increased feeding reliability with cases which
were previously loaded to major PF.
Feed like butter.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,561 Posts
Well I'd say your load is accurate enough...
LOL! Shoot much? :cigar:

I find that corn cob media works fine without any additive.
And If you use Carbide sizing dies you won't need to lube the cases.

Lately I've gone to using Lee undersized carbide sizing
dies for 9mm and 38 Superb cases.
It has increased feeding reliability with cases which
were previously loaded to major PF.
Feed like butter.
I like to finish them off with Lee factory crimp sizing die .

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
3,299 Posts
In the photo, his press appears to be a Square Deal. If so, the dies are proprietary.
What powder is working well for you in 9 & 38?

Reactions: FWoo45

·
3,299 Posts
Something I found out recently is that some 38 Super are .355" bore (same as 9mm) while others are .3565". I use the .355" Hornady 115 HAP in both my 9mm and 38 Super loads. I don't load for competition, only for my own enjoyment.
Best wishes.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a buddy that is teaching me how to reload. He has me using .356 bullets, checking the COL and the powder charge every 100 rounds and obv putting everything thru the no go gauge.. Just curious, what powder are you using? He likes the V since it's clean but it's not cheap by any means.

·
3,299 Posts
I've been using HP38 which is said to be the same as WW 231. I use it because there's a reasonable quantity of it here and I use it in other calibers as well. I've also used .357 Hornady XTP meant for revolvers in my LB 38 Super. I've also used Unique, but it's dirty and makes a bit of smoke. I bought several thousand 124 grain .356 bullets from Mastercast in PA a while back, they work great as well.

Reactions: FWoo45

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,557 Posts
I use 124 gr Missouri coated TC bullet over 5.4 gr of HP38/231. Accurate, reliable, soft shooting.
Nice range load.

·
Banned
2,687 Posts
Above is a good "Steel Challenge"/range load.

The Super comes into it's own at low end .357 mag velocities.
I run 147 JHPs at 1250 to 1300+ FPS using HS7/Win 571. This is a long discontinued powder but I had a few 8# jugs from shooting Major Super decades back.
(An "11 rd. .357 mag" auto, that is reasonably controllable instills confidence)
HS6/Win 540 works well too, however I'm sure there are "better" powders out there for hot loads.

I use 9mm for for wimp/range loads.
There was a time when 9mm in a 1911 was unreliable, or at least not as reliable as the the longer Super cartridge.
Those days are long gone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.