1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few years I've become a bit of a fan of the Super .38 cartridge. I recently thought I'd like to do a head to head kind of test to see which of my four .38 Super 1911 pistols would be most accurate. I set a target at 15 yards, and fired thirty rounds from each pistol. All shooting was done from a standing unsupported Weaver stance. I used handloaded ammunition consisting of a 115 grain FMJ bullet loaded over 6.2 grains of Unique.

The first pistol I shot is my self built Colt / Caspian CCO. This pistol still retains its original pre series 80 Colt barrel that headspaces on the cartridge rim. Known for having accuracy issues, I felt that the old barrel did a fair job, and is just fine for the defensive carry pistol that it is.

The second pistol tested is a Series 80 Colt XSE lightweight Commander. This pistol is fit from Colt with a barrel that headspaces on the case mouth, which made for a big improvement in accuracy for the Super .38 in Colt 1911's. I thought this was true in the case of my particular pistols, as I shot a bit tighter group with the XSE compared to the Colt / Caspian CCO with the older style barrel.

Third is my Custom Colt pre series 80 Combat Commander. This pistol has been fit with an STI ramped barrel. I felt this pistol showed better accuracy than either of the Colt barrels in the preceding pistols. This proved to me that a premium gunsmith fit barrel is a worthwhile investment. Before I had this gun built with this barrel, it was piercing primers and swelling cases with the old style Colt barrel it came from the factory with.

Last came my Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry. This pistol is fit with a four inch bull barrel. It also has the finest sights of all of my .38 Super pistols. The trigger pull in this gun though is no better than any of the other three pistols I own. I think its the absolutely perfect fit of the bull barrel used in this pistol that makes it noticeably more accurate than any of the others.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I recently acquired a LB PII in 38 Super and it immediately became my favorite caliber. The guns and the round both shoot very well and are accurate. Looks like you have 4 good shooters any way you look at it.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Nice range report on your collection of.38 sups. It has become my favorite caliber as well.
I'm looking forward to having a range day like yours. Mrs. collector really enjoys her new .38 since I have found a milder load for her. My plans are to take The WC CQB, DW Valor & Guardian, my current in work JEM/Caspian build project & hopefully my 2 KGB Colt builds that are waiting their turn all on the same day. My only concern is that when the Mrs. shoots my guns she likes, they tend to migrate over to her safe. :bang:
IMG_2325 (2).jpg

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,067 Posts
@TheCollector That's an interesting choice of finishes. I normally don't like reverse 2 tones and usually only like the frame to be color case hardened, but that looks pretty slick. I like it.
Yes
I’ll say...it’s Very UNIQUE!:rolleyes:

And quite outstanding!

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
@TheCollector That's an interesting choice of finishes. I normally don't like reverse 2 tones and usually only like the frame to be color case hardened, but that looks pretty slick. I like it.
Since it was a build for Mrs. Collector all the appearance items were her call........ I just do what I'm told. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments guys. Y'all have some nice looking Supers as well. It was a great range day shooting the first three guns. I was amazed at how tired I got holding those pistols in a Weaver while methodicly firing three mags of ammo from each. I just took delivery of the WC ULC two days prior to shooting it, so I'd only fired a couple mags through it before the thirty into this target. I've found the .38 Super to be such a great shooting cartridge from a 1911. 9MM's are such kitty cats, while .45's from Lightweight pistols get to be a bit of a handful after a while. The .38 Super is just Superb..

·
Banned
208 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. Y'all have some nice looking Supers as well. It was a great range day shooting the first three guns. I was amazed at how tired I got holding those pistols in a Weaver while methodicly firing three mags of ammo from each. I just took delivery of the WC ULC two days prior to shooting it, so I'd only fired a couple mags through it before the thirty into this target. I've found the .38 Super to be such a great shooting cartridge from a 1911. 9MM's are such kitty cats, while .45's from Lightweight pistols get to be a bit of a handful after a while. The .38 Super is just Superb..
That’s nice looking Wilson

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts