1911 Firearm Addicts banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
4,848 Posts
Kenny,

You should be getting 17+1 out of a flush fit 126mm mag, 20+1 out of a 140mm mag and 23+1 out of a 140mm mag with a competition base plate and follower.
Tru Dat. I’ll correct the post.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I’ve gotten 1450 +/- from a 9x23 commander length gun with Winchester 125 grain silvertips. The Winchester flat point load is in the same ballpark. I shot a rabbit with the silvertip once and there wasn’t enough left to even bother picking it up.

I love the .38 Super, just picked up an ACW Classic Carry in this caliber.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Can't wait till I get my ACW 38S Prime Elite..:cry:
I waited for a loooonnng time......... and have concluded it is worth it. They learned what they needed to learn.... Now I'm waiting for the little Bro CC in .38 sup.
Hopefully to be here soon.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I had a gun built in 38 Superb just for the hell of it. I didn’t have one. Commander length with a compact frame all steel. It’s fun to shoot. View attachment 632879
That is one cool NH!!
I love that compact frame with a magwell. Very tastefully done Sir.
What are the grips material?

Reactions: Ethanol Red

·
Registered
75 Posts
This thread answered many of my questions, also. Thanks.
So, I read that 9mm pistols can have 38 Super barrels fitted to them. Is the inverse true? TIA

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes. I have a SA Loaded 9mm that has been fitted with a Nowlin Super barrel & bushing. I keep it set up as a Super And have the 9mm setup as a reserve. It should go either way with no problems. Just use the appropriate recoil spring & mags with each barrel.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
This thread answered many of my questions, also. Thanks.
So, I read that 9mm pistols can have 38 Super barrels fitted to them. Is the inverse true? TIA
Take most of this with the caveat that there are always exceptions:
SOME 9mm guns have a breach face a bit too narrow for a .38 sup cartridge and MAY need to be massaged a little. (or use .38 super comp brass that is not rimmed)
SOME 9mm guns used ramped barrels, some do not. some .38 super barrels are ramped some are not. The conversion must take this in account and like barrel types used.
If you are adding a 9mm barrel to a .38super gun you will most likely have to tension the extractor as the 9mm casing has a smaller rim diameter.
My 2 cents from doing conversions both directions........ mind you, I'm just an owner/tinker/bubba smiffer

·
Registered
444 Posts
Take most of this with the caveat that there are always exceptions:
SOME 9mm guns have a breach face a bit too narrow for a .38 sup cartridge and MAY need to be massaged a little. (or use .38 super comp brass that is not rimmed)
SOME 9mm guns used ramped barrels, some do not. some .38 super barrels are ramped some are not. The conversion must take this in account and like barrel types used.
If you are adding a 9mm barrel to a .38super gun you will most likely have to tension the extractor as the 9mm casing has a smaller rim diameter.
My 2 cents from doing conversions both directions........ mind you, I'm just an owner/tinker/bubba smiffer
Good points. Thank you.

·
born in the wrong century
4,045 Posts
One of my big fears of the 38S is..................the things seem to multiply at a fast rate.

At least judging by the experiences of the fine folks here at Addicts.

They are like Gremlins from the 80's movie.....just add gun oil & smokeless powder.....and then BAMSUCKA!!!! more 38S pistolas appear in the gunsafe.

:eek::D

Then I realize that more pistolas appearing in the gunsafe is highly relevant to my interests so consider my fears dissolved. The only gripe or grumble I have with it is that I'm primer-poor.

The few thousand small rifle primers were being planned for AR fun.....and they are about as rare as virgins riding unicorns.

Perhaps the outcome of next weeks little political event will provide me some confidence to spend some money on new gun fun....just maybe with a pair of these Gremlins thrown into the mix....who knows.

Right now I'm just playing the role of grumpy ole *******....yelling at liberals to "get off my lawn". Maybe this time next week we all will be relieved, relaxed and feel confident that components and ammo will be in stock in the future....sure it may be a few months......but it'll be legal and arriving.

Until then it's Grumpy ole geezer fearing the Gremlins that lurk in rabbit holes.....and dog faced pony soldiers.

I had a gun built in 38 Superb just for the hell of it. I didn’t have one. Commander length with a compact frame all steel. It’s fun to shoot. View attachment 632879
Sweet pistola. Like the leather and those grips are very cool.

I'll bet that is a smooth shooting weapon.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts