1911 Firearm Addicts banner

38 super worth ?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Legion489 
#1 ·
hello all, do reloads sell ? looking at buying a gun and roughly 3400 rds of 125gr, what's the ammo worth? thanks much

#8 · (Edited)
I was taught years ago that if I wanted to shoot I could use his equipment all i wanted but I was on my own.....Don't ask to borrow any ammo and don't loan any ammo

You don't want to be getting stuck with someone else's issues if they were careless and missed a powder dump or made a few double charges here and there.

One double charge will destroy a pistol and make a big mess of your day.

Note, I can attest to this first hand as it happened to the guy that taught me to reload while I was the RO of the stage and the pistol was a total loss.

He was as safe as anyone but it only takes one second to look away, reach for something to break one's concentration and lose your place.....This goes double when running a Le Pro 1000 which we both did back then and I still do today.

Karsten

#9 ·
Yes & this is why we license the Pros.
I trust my loads & always remember that
one cartridge in 1969 that I made.
No powder can be as bad as too much.

One out of fifty 357 magnums I did not
put powder in. My first fifty. I was
shooting my Colt Trooper MKIII when
I heard a pop.
Yes I was a new hand loader & I had
magnumitis & no safety system.
That pop was a bullet being sent & stuck into
the BBL. While the next round was about
to be sent into the stuck bullet.

I'm lucky that my fool head was not blown
apart. No powder was a new hand loaders
mistake. While not perfect I have not made
a single mistake since then. I can not afford
to.

#11 ·
One critical rule is to always look in the charged case before you put a bullet on it. If you can't do that, you really need an RCBS Lock-Out die. One reason of many I like the Hornady progressives--the charged case is right under my nose for easy examination. On my 1050s, I have to bend way over to look--but I still always look.
Another rule I have is to clear the press. If there is a hiccup or I leave, the press is cleared of all cases. I throw the powder in any charged case back in the measure. Never cycle the press looking for a problem with any cases still in the shell plate. Never put off cleaning the press if you spill powder—pull the shell plate and completely clean the press.

#13 ·
Personally I do NOT shoot anyone else's handloads. I am perfectly willing to risk blowing my head off with MY handloads, but not yours! If I bought it, it would be for brass and bullets, and as used brass and pull down bullets, I would not pay retail OR dealer for it either. Anyone else can do what they want, I got no problem with that, but not me.

#14 ·
Tell him to you, they are worth $340.00, as you will have to pull them apart and reload them to your specs. Which may or may not work out, once you get them separated and see what you end up with.

FWIW, I have seen reloads that have had split cases, deep seats, mysterious bulges...

#16 ·
I am perfectly content to risk blowing MY head off with MY handloads. I do not shoot other people's handloads. The ammo is worth brass and bullets, and I would deduct from that the time it takes to pull down. What it worth to YOU is up to you, the above is only my two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.