1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Livin Large
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you cats have ever, or do, use a magnifier on your AR to accompany a red dot?

I have a 6.8 that I have an Utradot 6 mounted on that is set up to co witness my iron sights thru it if I choose to flip them up. I also find myself wanting to hunt with it and can see a need for some magnification with these old eyes.

I looked at a Vortex for $ 400 and also a UTG for less than $100. The UTG has this interesting tip out mount and some really good reviews. It is affordable enough to try as an experiment without much guilt if it don't work out.

So anybody use one?

Thanks in advance, NMBUZZ

·
Deo Volente
7,105 Posts
I ran into an incredible deal on a Trijicon 1-8X28 #1900027. It is not only a scope, but it has LED. Even with simple LED's that have lost battery power, I have used the tube as a ghost ring sight with amazing results.

Reactions: switchback

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I've run the 3X magnifier on my buddies Eotech , flips out of the way. Good setup, I'm using an aimpoint PRO with no magnifier. I really liked the ACOG I used to have, but during the gun craze got offered crazy money for the AR with the 4x32 acog. Could not resist.Great setup,

·
Livin Large
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really depends upon the distance you plan to shoot Buzz. That little red dot can get really big when magnified 3x at 200 yards...
What I'm talkin about. ... Thanks.... So it not only magnifies what is down range but the "dot" itself? The UDot 6 has multiple settings as to display/dot size but I find these settings specifically needed / useful for light conditions as much as dot size.

Can you dial down the display/dot size to make it usable with the 3x magnifier? Especially for hunting? Any youtube/ or other reviews out there for "magnifiers" ?

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,747 Posts
What I'm talkin about. ... Thanks.... So it not only magnifies what is down range but the "dot" itself? The UDot 6 has multiple settings as to display/dot size but I find these settings specifically needed / useful for light conditions as much as dot size.

Can you dial down the display/dot size to make it usable with the 3x magnifier? Especially for hunting? Any youtube/ or other reviews out there for "magnifiers" ?
My experience was with a lower end Eotech combo on an AR15 and I did not have the ability to dial down the size of the red dot. Stretching out to 200+ yards the red dot pretty much covered the target.
Edit to add: This was several/many years ago Buzz and I am sure the technology has improved upon this matter. I switched over to a Vortex 1x4-24 and have not used a magnified red dot since.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This is a product review video, but had some good content on using the magnifier, and also the importance of the right reticule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts