1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, anyone run 40 cal in a 10mm 1911? I know you can do it in a glock but have never tried it in my 1911. Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It can be done, whether or not it should be done is another question all together. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless there was an absolute need.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be done, whether or not it should be done is another question all together. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless there was an absolute need.
Why shouldn't it be done? As long as it feeds and has case support there should not be a problem. Am I missing something? There are a lot of guys that run 40 in their glock 20s with 0 issues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The basic issue the difference in head space. You require the extractor to hold the round in place while it should be head spacing off the case mouth. The worst that I have heard of is case separation specifically in 40 in a 10mm.

If there is a problem and the world is in flames, I will be using 40 through my 10mm barrel when I run out of 10mm

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Doing stuff that need not be done . . . . . . .

Bubba at his finest . . . . .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The basic issue the difference in head space. You require the extractor to hold the round in place while it should be head spacing off the case mouth. The worst that I have heard of is case separation specifically in 40 in a 10mm.

If there is a problem and the world is in flames, I will be using 40 through my 10mm barrel when I run out of 10mm
Thanks and you raise a good point about headspace but after a bit of research I am not concerned. Head spacing is an issue with 38s in 357s and 223 in 5.56 but no one ever has any issues. Your point on extractor is also a good one but 40 cal actually puts less stress on the extractor than 10mm not more, so not worried about that either.

Here is a vid of a guy doing it without any problems. The comment section is good at answering some of the questions on the issue.

The reason I ask is because off the shelf 10mm is expensive and is basically 40 cal. For instance TS has 1k rounds of 10mm 180s for $319 and 40 cal 180s for $239. Why bother paying $90 difference for range ammo?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Can't you just change the barrel and be ok with the headspace? Barrels are pretty inexpensive. JMHO

Gary

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yes it can be done
Guys shoot 9mm out of 38 supers all the time also.
BUT
it shouldn't be done, all that is holding it is the extractor.

Start reloading the 10mm for cost savings or have a 40 bbl fitted.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Pffbtt. My best friend shot a 10mm out of one of my .45s. Lot of things can be done. Not everything should be.

·
Registered
712 Posts
This isn't meant to be rude, but you appear to have already done your own research and at this point it appears you've made up your mind. You clearly want to do it. So go do it. You already received our advice, I don't think you will get our validation, and you definitely do not need our permission. So give it a try. Let us know how it goes.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
This isn't meant to be rude, but you appear to have already done your own research and at this point it appears you've made up your mind. You clearly want to do it. So go do it. You already received our advice, I don't think you will get our validation, and you definitely do not need our permission. So give it a try. Let us know how it goes.

Last time that I shot 10mm in my fotay S&W . . .

Sigma fail.jpg

Sigma fail 2.jpg

Reactions: stlgecko

·
Registered
523 Posts
When you do it, please record it, preferably in slo-mo. I want to see if and how it works.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This isn't meant to be rude, but you appear to have already done your own research and at this point it appears you've made up your mind. You clearly want to do it. So go do it.
Not rude at all and I appreciate the response. I was wondering if I have not thought of something. The head spacing and extractor issues are known and not a concern. The argument that "you should not do it because you should not do it" is not convincing. Like I said, glock guys have been doing this for years with no consequences. If there was not a 30% dif in ammo price I would not think of it.

I want to see if and how it works.
See the video above. There are a few others on youtube as well. It appears to work just fine.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
So worst case is I break an extractor? 1911 extractors are tough as nails and inexpensive, I do not mind taking this risk.
It also lets the case slam into the breech face with much more force than normal.
That can cause cracked slides etc.
I still recommend you spend a little cash and buy a bbl and fit it or have it fitted.

Reactions: Klause
1 - 18 of 18 Posts