1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how the rest of the country is fairing but ammo was cleaned out last week. Interesting the last boxes left for each place I visited included or was only 40 cal. (Additional 270, 7.62x39, 6.5 creedmor made the list for rifles)

I sold off my 40s a few years back. Wondering what everyone else is seeing. .40 cal going for far less than 9mm and 45 acp.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I haven’t really looked during this run on ammo, but during the run after Sandy Hook, 40 was available when nothing else was. I don’t shoot 40 anymore ether, and I have a fairly substantial inventory and am taking this opportunity to try to clear out the 40 as well as 10mm on hand.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yeah - put me down as another "got shut of all 40 cal"..... Sold my last 40 along with all the reloading dies, brass, etc about 6-7 years ago and the only thing that was hard about it was letting go of my Beretta 96 Compact INOX. That gun was a tack-driver, and even new shooters found it easy to get on target with - something about the ergonomics of that gun was perfect. I just found the caliber to be too snappy for what it was.
I've got enough supplies stashed to reload 10k rounds of 45, and dies & supplies to reload a wide variety of other common handgun caliber, so ammo shortages aren't really a concern for me at this point.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's slim pickings around here (STL area), but shelves aren't completely bare. Most decent brass FMJ is gone in all calibers, but you can still find crappy steel case and HPs at msrp. Not seeing anything special happening in .40

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Strange I've never owned anything in 40 but have been thinking about it the last few months or so. Guess I might have to pull that trigger once things get back to normal. Assuming they do.
ETA;
Then again maybe a 10mm. The addiction is real.
I would pose the question as to WHY, you would add a 40 or 10mm just have to buy ammo, dies, etc?

I’ve got SEVERAL thousand rounds of 40 and had 5000 rounds of 10mm (sold 2k so far), and I was trying to justify buying guns in those calibers. I came to the conclusion that getting rid of the ammo just makes more sense to me...

·
1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART
23,367 Posts
I would pose the question as to WHY, you would add a 40 or 10mm just have to buy ammo, dies, etc?

I’ve got SEVERAL thousand rounds of 40 and had 5000 rounds of 10mm (sold 2k so far), and I was trying to justify buying guns in those calibers. I came to the conclusion that getting rid of the ammo just makes more sense to me...
Sounds like I know where to get ammo.
Lol I see your point.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I picked up an MP5/40 and a UMP .40 last year. It's a fantastic caliber in a submachine gun. You can find a lot of very high quality LEO ammo cheap for them. Ammo availability is definitely a plus. I snagged a Yost .40 Hi Power off the classifieds here since I'm stocked up ammo. Figure if I don't like that, then .40S&W in a handgun isn't for me.

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
263 Posts
Why is everyone so obsessed with buying ammo right now? Most ranges are probably not even open? After this passes prices will go back to normal. Do people really believe they need thousands of rounds because a small army is coming for your toilet paper? Really don’t understand the conversation surrounding this.

Maybe I’m missing something here?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Why is everyone so obsessed with buying ammo right now? Most ranges are probably not even open? After this passes prices will go back to normal. Do people really believe they need thousands of rounds because a small army is coming for your toilet paper? Really don’t understand the conversation surrounding this.

I don't need a reason to hoard ammo, and it didn't start with this virus.

"Thousands of rounds" is what every serious gun enthusiast should have imo.

It's a lot more useful than hoarding TP.

·
263 Posts
I don't need a reason to hoard ammo, and it didn't start with this virus.

"Thousands of rounds" is what every serious gun enthusiast should have imo.

It's a lot more useful than hoarding TP.
You are only proving my point. If having thousands of rounds is normal, anyone who has thousands of rounds regularly should be fine during this period.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I know. I don’t get the toilet paper run either. I always look when I am in.

·
The Tinker
3,373 Posts
I have one 45, use it as a nightstand pistol, and will keep a small amount of ammo for it. I have one 40 and am thinking of building a 40 top end for the 45 to give me a full size 40 for those times when I don't want the penetration of a 10mm. I have two 10mms that will be my primary defense use pistols from now on.

I'm giving up on 45 and have never embraced 9mm for various reasons.

·
263 Posts
I know. I don’t get the toilet paper run either. I always look when I am in.
I don’t either. I always keep about a months supply regularly. It’s something you’ll always need and is cheaper in bulk. If everyone bought things in a normal fashion there would be no shortage of anything. A person is smart, people are dumb.

·
The Tinker
3,373 Posts
I don’t either. I always keep about a months supply regularly. It’s something you’ll always need and is cheaper in bulk. If everyone bought things in a normal fashion there would be no shortage of anything. A person is smart, people are dumb.
I'd say that a person 'can' be smart, as it's been proven time and time again that not all are. ;)

Not all folks have an abundance of common sense either. Some do though.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I was talking with my wife about this last night. The reasons we came up with can be summed up:
  1. New buyers. People who've been meaning to buy a gun and are now rushing to get one, and a store of ammo with it. Also people who are running low on ammo, and figure they'd better not wait until next payday to buy more.
  2. Price watchers. People who are stockpiling because they fear a dramatic increase in cost. Generally, the same kind of people who buy a lot of something when there's a sale.
  3. Conspiracy theorists / preppers / mall ninjas. People who think this is a government ploy to keep guns and ammo out of the hands of the people, or those who fantasize about apocalyptic army-building and/or being king of the cul-de-sac.
  4. Opportunists. People who are stockpiling at low cost so they can gouge people who need it later.
I have between 800 and 2000 rounds of each caliber I shoot (except .22lr, I have a solid case of that). For many, this is not considered "a lot" of ammo. Yet, if I make no change in my practice, it will still take me at least 6 months to burn through all of it. And if I ration, shoot more 22, I'll last over a year. I have plenty... no plans to buy more ammo until I actually need it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts