1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dremel jockey
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 500 240gr LSWC projos.
I can't seem to find good reloading data for mid-range loads.
Suggestions?

Reactions: gps man

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
What FPS are you wanting and what powders do you have on hand? I can find 1100ish-1200ish for LSWC.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
8.0grs of Unique is a load I've used forever. I think the gun mags used to call the "skeeter Skelton" load. He was a writer back in 70's and 80's IIRC.
It runs a 240-250 about 1000 fps. Great SD load and deer load. Very easy to shoot.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My reloading these days centers around what components do I have that will reasonably work.....

in the 44 mag/240 - 2400 is tough to beat/

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lyman lists 10.0 grains of Unique as the starting load with a 240 grain SWC bullet in .44 Mag, with a velocity of 937 FPS (Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition). The Skeeter load is 7.5 grains of Unique with a comparable bullet, but in .44 Special. It is significantly over the SAAMI maximum load for those components in that cartridge, but is generally accepted as entirely safe in a strong revolver in good mechanical condition.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use and still use 10.0-10.5 grains of Unique with a hard cast bullet. Chrono’d out of my 5.5” Redhawk is launched the bullet at 1025-1050 fps. It was dead on out to 100 meters. I won a couple state open sight matches with this load and the Redhawk. It is vicious on bowling pin, too, if you don’t have any 900 fps loads on hand. I used to get harassed at pin matches by the pin setters telling me I had to retrieve my own pins.

EDIT: Those 900 fps loads are 240 grain LSWC and 5.9 grains of Bullseye.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My go to for 240gr 44mag mid range loads is 9.5gr of Unique, fired off by a Winchester LPP. It is easy shooting out of my L Frame M69 revolver, and it was the most accurate from my revolver. Hope you find what works best for you

·
Dremel jockey
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS guys!
I loaded my very first 44's using 9.0gr of WW231 behind a 240gr LSWC.
?
I certainly would have used Unique, as suggested, if I could have found some.
231 sure 'seems' like a poor choice for the 44......9.0gr only fills the case maybe 25%.
But I have a nice reserve of 231, so......
I'll use them this Saturday morning for our local IPSC/IDPA style match.

I'll be on the look-out for more desirable powders, but these days I'll use what I can get.

·
born in the wrong century
4,314 Posts
THANKS guys!
I loaded my very first 44's using 9.0gr of WW231 behind a 240gr LSWC.
?
I certainly would have used Unique, as suggested, if I could have found some.
231 sure 'seems' like a poor choice for the 44......9.0gr only fills the case maybe 25%.
But I have a nice reserve of 231, so......
I'll use them this Saturday morning for our local IPSC/IDPA style match.

I'll be on the look-out for more desirable powders, but these days I'll use what I can get.

Hope they run great for you. (y)

Watching this thread with great interest. .44mag is my favorite revolver rounds.

I lucked out and jumped on a jug of Unique a couple months back....and another of W296. 240gr lswc with 240gr XTP & 300gr XTP should allow me go from mild-to-wild.

Such an excellent cartridge.
🦌 🎯 🎇

·
Registered
5 Posts
My only 44 go-to loads are 10.0 gr Accurate #5 for mid-range, and 18.5 Accurate #9 for full loads.
the only loads I shoot out of my SBHs.

#5 meters much better than Unique IMHO.

·
Dremel jockey
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK
So got the snubby out today with my first handloads.

Dismal results!

Shot 6 of the 240gr LSWC over 9.0 231.
Just sort of plinking.
Double action.
5 went BANG, 1 did not.
Hurt my thumb a bit.

Then we shot a 12rd stage.
I used the same rounds.
Timed and scored.
3 misfires.
No discomfort.
Adrenalin!

Shot several more stages. Used some 240gr plated as well over 10gr 231.
Misfires about every cylinder.
Winchester large pistol primers.
Stock springs in the revo.
Also had several rounds jump the crimp and tie up the roscoe.

Fired several cylinders single action. No misfires.

Needed:
Install Cylinder and Slide extended length firing pin.
Obtain a separate crimp die.

To new readers, this is a new S&W 629-6 that has been returned 3 times for warranty repair!

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
For what its worth, I had issues with .45 LC and 231. Talked to the Winchester tech who was very wise, hell we talked for an hour, great conversation. In the end he said tighten your crimp and give the 231 powder time to burn. That cured it perfectly for me. He happened to be a big LC fan too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am a big fan of heavy crimps in all my loads. Gets that pressure up before the bullet moves and removes a variable. Old work hardened brass sure contributes to bullets jumping the crimp. Found out the degree to which that occurs with the chronograph.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts