.45 & 9mm extractor question

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Don_P, May 28, 2019.

1. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    extractors.jpg
    Found this illustration included in a YouTube "tutorial" on extractor tuning. I've tuned all my .45 extractors using “Steve in Allentown” description shown here: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865
    and as shown in the drawing.
    I also recently replaced the extractor in my Colt Govt 1911 9mm with an EGW and tuned it in the same manner as my 45’s. Works perfectly but now I’m curious, is the method shown for the 9mm extractor the way it is supposed to be done or is either way acceptable. If either way is acceptable for the 9mm, why is the 9mm method not also acceptable for the .45? Just curious, if you know, or if you have any ideas.

2. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Fitting a 9mm extractor as shown in the drawing is easier than fitting it like a .45 extractor.

If I ever get a 9mm 1911, I will fit its extractor just like I fit .45 extractors. It may take more time and effort but I don't care for the extractor tension being applied to the case through contact with the edge of the claw.

Having said that, I have a 9x23 with an extractor fit like the top picture by a 'smith and it runs fine. So, either method will work.

Just out of curiosity which 9mm EGW extractor did you use?

3. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    Appreciate your thoughts on the subject Steve, thanks. I bought both, the EGW standard and the HD extractors, but fitted the HD. The standard was in case I messed up on the HD. Following your .45 tutorial, the HD functions quite reliably and consistently.

4. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I had to send back my Springfield .45 to the mothership because I couldn’t get the extractor to keep tension and run right. I guess I don’t have any interest, or the required mechanical ability, to learn how to tune an internal extractor.
    What do you all think about Aftec extractors? Seems like a great idea.
    Jeff

5. Don_P

Dec 4, 2018
    Not familiar with the Aftec but it does seem like an alternative for those looking for a potential fix with minimal effort.
    Pricey piece to leave in the parts bin if it doesn't work out.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  6. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I prefer the HD above all others. A recent experience with two Wilson Bulletproof extractors reinforced my preference for EGW.

While I have no personal experience with them, Aftec extractors have a good reputation.

seagiant and gaijin like this.
  7. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    “Pricey piece to leave in the parts bin if it doesn't work out.”

Considering the vast sums I’ve wasted on various guns and services related to my addiction the price of an Aftec is insignificant.
    Jeff

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted